Company file in QuickBooks is very essential in the application as it allows you to perform bookkeeping entries seamlessly. However, as a user, you might encounter issues when accessing a company file. This is due to QuickBooks error 6143. When this error takes place, it hinders the user’s ability to perform an ongoing important task in the application. Additionally, error 6143 can be responsible for program crashes. However, various other reasons ensure this error, and knowing them will help users troubleshoot the issue.
- What Leads to Error 6143 in QuickBooks?
- Resolving QuickBooks Error 6143
- Step 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
- Step 2: Remove any spaces from the Company File
- Step 3: Copy the Company file to the Workstation
- Step 4: Check the Anti-Virus Program and Firewall Port
- Step 5: Shut down all QuickBooks-related programs
- Step 6: Rename the .ND and .TLF files
- Step 7: Try Running the Company File Locally
- Step 8: Verify if the issue occurs due to the program or the company file
What Leads to Error 6143 in QuickBooks?
Besides the inability to access the company file, various other reasons can cause QuickBooks error code 6143 to be displayed.
- Files are removed or deleted from Windows.
- There are errors in the Window registry files.
- Malware or virus infection.
- Improper configuration or download of application and hardware.
- System files in Windows are corrupted or damaged.
- An error occurred when installing or downloading QB software.
- The software is interfering with opening the company file.
Resolving QuickBooks Error 6143
As we have mentioned earlier that QuickBooks error 6143 is related to the denied access to the company file in the application. However, following the steps listed below will help resolve the issue.”
Step 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
The QB file doctor is a progressive tool that can help detect issues with the application and solve them accordingly. This tool is effective in solving many error codes that you may run into using QuickBooks.
- Adhere to the instructions displayed.
Step 2: Remove any spaces from the Company File
Unwanted file extensions or unnecessary use of space in the company file name can also cause this error to be displayed. Addressing this cause can help with the 6143 error code in QB
- Ensure to log out from QuickBooks on every server and local system.
- Locate the QB installation folder on the server in which the company file is stored.
- The default address is usually C:\Users \Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\QuickBooks\ Company Files.
- Once located, right-click and select rename.
- Delete all space in the company file name as well on the extension.
- Perform the same function that prompted the error after opening the QB program.
- If the error persists, follow the next fix to resolve the error.
Step 3: Copy the Company file to the Workstation
Transferring the company file from the original location to an external device, and pasting the same into the machine where the error occurs can fix the issue. To do this you can follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Locate and open the QuickBooks installation folder on the server.
- Copy the company file on an external storage device.
- Plug in the external storage device on the system you are facing issue 6143.
- Transfer or paste the company file into the system.
- Once done, try to access the company file from the local storage of the system.
Step 4: Check the Anti-Virus Program and Firewall Port
In many instances, QuickBooks error 6143 can occur if the application is blocked by any antivirus or firewall settings. However, this can easily be resolved with the following simple steps
- Open the QB database and server manager.
- Locate the version of your QuickBooks software.
- Jot down the port number
- Use the port number and include it in the firewall exception for the application.
Step 5: Shut down all QuickBooks-related programs
Another fix for QuickBooks error code 6143 is to shut down all the program that is related to the software. This can be done with the step listed below.
- You need to log into the application as an authorized administrator.
- Open the task manager by pressing together Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
- Go to where it says to show processes for all users.
- Select “End Task” for all processes related to QuickBooks for all users.
Step 6: Rename the .ND and .TLF files
Sometimes renaming the .ND and .TLG files can also help resolve the 6143 error in the application. You can follow the procedure listed below to continue with this step.
- Access the directory that has the company files.
- Located and select the files.ND and .TLG extension.
- Once located, right-click on the file and select rename.
- Ensure you add .OLD in the extension when renaming the filename.
- Save the changes.
- To see if the issue is fixed restart your system.
Step 7: Try Running the Company File Locally
If the location of your company file is damaged then probably you may face error 6143 in QuickBooks. In this case, you need to try running the company file locally. The steps listed below will help you achieve this.
- Locate the company file folder.
- Locate the company file having the .QBW extension.
- Select copy when you right-click on the file.
- Paste the file on your system desktop.
- Run the QB program and choose the file option.
- You will see the option to restore or run an existing company file, navigate to the file you pasted and open it.
If you can open the company file now, it means that the original location of the company file was damaged.
Step 8: Verify if the issue occurs due to the program or the company file
A sample company file can be opened from your QuickBooks desktop application to check where the issue is arising from.
- On your desktop select the no company open window
- Choose the sample file from the open window.
- A list will be displayed, select the sample file to be opened
- In case you are unable to open the file, then you need to repair the QuickBooks installation
- You can proceed normally if the file is open.
It is obvious that when running into QuickBooks error 6143 can cause a serious problem. This is simply because if any company file is damaged you worry about the loss of data or the file itself.
However, following the above-mentioned step to resolve the issue can help recover the important company file and also enable you to access the same. But if it continues, then it is best advised to seek professional technical help.
Frequently Asked Question
When you are unable to access the location of the file you are displayed with a 6143 error code. This can also be due to data integrity.
Yes, you can reinstall the application if you are facing QuickBooks error message 6143 without losing any data.
QuickBooks file doctor is one such program that you can use to scan for errors and fic them accordingly.