While working on their systems, users may sometimes encounter an error that may stop their QuickBooks software from being launched after its installation. To let you know about the error, a message would be seen on the screen mentioning “We’re Sorry! Something Went Wrong with Your Installation. QuickBooks Error 1712. One or More Files Required to Restore Your Computer to its Previous State could not be Found. Restoration could not be Possible”.
Because of being downloaded from a corrupted/damaged source, the software may not install properly. This can cause the QuickBooks error 1712. This error code can also be found on QuickBooks Desktop. Therefore, it is essential that you implement the right fix to implement as per the version of the software. In addition, getting into the depth of the error’s causes will help you ascertain the fix.
- 1. What is Causing QuickBooks Error 1712?
- 2. Troubleshooting QuickBooks Install Error 1712
- 2.1) Fix 1: Using QuickBooks Tool Hub
- 2.2) Fix 2: Updating Your Windows System
- 2.3) Fix 3: Making Use of QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- 2.4) Fix 4: Closing Background Processes through Task Manager
- 3. Fixing Error 1712 in QuickBooks Desktop
1. What is Causing QuickBooks Error 1712?
When your software gets attacked by malicious elements, the error 1712 in QuickBooks can occur. These elements can reside in some other software that can be some sort of spyware, adware, or a virus. They can infect the accounting program and disturb its operations.
Similar to this, other reasons too can cause the 1712 error code in the accounting program. These are mentioned as follows:
- QuickBooks installation is being done in a damaged folder.
- A damaged data file can affect the working of the software and produce the 1712 issue.
- The corrupted Windows Registry can create this QuickBooks error.
- Installing an updated version of the software on the system when you have not deleted the older one can cause hindrances. Hence, the error 1712 may show up.
- An outdated Windows system can be a possible cause of the QuickBooks error 1712.
2. Troubleshooting QuickBooks Install Error 1712
One of the fixes that can be used for troubleshooting the 1712 error in the accounting program can be through the use of the QuickBooks Tool Hub application. Additionally, you can make use of the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. If the QuickBooks error code 1712 still remains unsolved, then try updating your Windows computer.
2.1) Fix 1: Using QuickBooks Tool Hub
You may undergo some issues while installing the accounting software on your system. This problem can be caused by the QuickBooks 1712 error. Without properly installing it, working on it in a smooth way can be challenging. The QuickBooks Tool Hub is an application that has been created to find out problems and fix them automatically when occurring in the accounting program. Thus, to scan this issue immediately, you need to use the application by installing it on your computer from the official source.
To learn more about this QuickBooks install error 1712 fix, continue reading the directions added below:
- Shut down the accounting software.
- Then you need to search for “QuickBooks Tool Hub” over the internet and download it from there. See to it that the official link is used for this.
- The file that has been downloaded needs to be saved in the “Downloads” section.
- Move to the downloaded “.exe” file’s location.
- Click twice on it to begin the installation process.
- The “Install Wizard” will pop up on the window and provide you with the directions. Go through them to complete the installation.
- After the process is complete, tap on “Finish”.
- Head towards the “Desktop” window.
- To start fixing the QuickBooks installer error 1712, press the icon of “Tool Hub” for opening it.
- After this, tap on “Program Problems”.
- In this step, choose “QuickFix My Program”.
- This tool will start scanning the accounting program and fix it if the error’s cause is found.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks software to get rid of the QuickBooks installation error 1712.
The fix might have started processing onto your software. So, to check that, it is important to launch it and start operating the software. In case the problem persists, you can verify if the application was installed correctly or not.
2.2) Fix 2: Updating Your Windows System
Installing the accounting program on a Windows system that is not up to date can create trouble and not let you operate it. This can lead to the QuickBooks error 1712. Thus, when you face this issue, try updating the Windows computer. The update needs to be processed through the section of Settings. It will be suggested to ensure no interference while the updates are in process.
- Go to the “Start” tab.
- Then tap on the “Gear” button.
- This will take you to the “System Settings” screen.
- Press the “Update and Security” feature.
- Next, the “Windows Update” button is to be clicked on.
- In this instruction, you need to pick the “Check for Updates” option.
- After the scanning is done for the updates, you will get to know whether your computer is updated or requires an update.
- In case the availability for an update is shown, tap on the “Get Updates” tab.
- Install the updates once they are downloaded.
- Re-visit the accounting software later on.
Tip: Updating your PC is an excellent way of ensuring that bugs are fixed. This can positively affect programs like Intuit QuickBooks installed on it. Additionally, you can update this particular program too. The QuickBooks update error 1712 can emerge when your system is up-to-date but the program is not. Therefore, downloading the required updates for the software will reduce the possibility of this error.
2.3) Fix 3: Making Use of QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Created by Intuit, the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool manages and resolves the issues related to the installation of the software. Hence, considering that you are facing a problem and are unable to get rid of it, you can use this tool. This can clear the QuickBooks installation error 1712. You will find the tool on the official website of Intuit. From there, you can install it on your system.
- Move towards “Intuit’s” official website.
- “QBInstall Tool” needs to be searched here.
- Then download the “QBInstall Diagnostic Tool” on the system.
- After the download is done, install it.
Tip: Make sure to shut down all the applications running in the background. Then the QuickBooks error 1712 fix can be processed smoothly.
- The “QBInstall Diagnostic Tool” is to be right-clicked.
- Next, opt for the “Open” button.
- Look for the “I am having Problems Installing QuickBooks” option.
- Hit the “Ok” tab in this step.
- You are then required to restart the computer.
You need to navigate yourself to the accounting software and start working on it if the 1712 error in QuickBooks has been resolved successfully. However, should you think that the issue is still not over, then you might have missed a step or followed something incorrectly. Otherwise, some interference may have been caused while starting your PC again.
2.4) Fix 4: Closing Background Processes through Task Manager
The Task Manager is an application already installed on your Windows computer. It lets you know the details of the background applications that are being run. Sometimes, you may face the 1712 error code in your software and to fix that, you need to close all those programs that have been operating in the background. Using the Task Manager, you have to do so to eliminate the error 1712 when repairing QuickBooks.
- Shut down each of the programs that are being run in the background of the system.
- Then click on the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” button at the same time.
- This will launch the “Task Manager”.
- Move to the “Processes” option.
- Look for “QuickBooks Processes” over here that have been running in the background.
- In this direction, tap on the “End Task” button for turning it off.
- Now, you need to repeat the same with all the other QuickBooks processes.
- After this, the “Task Manager” needs to be closed.
The computer has to be rebooted now. Head towards the accounting software and open it. Provide your confirmation whether the fix for the QuickBooks error 1712 has worked. Given that you still find some difficulty in resolving the error, repeat the steps for the fix once again. Should any process be left running in the background, then it would not get disabled.
3. Fixing Error 1712 in QuickBooks Desktop
Users can resolve the error 1712 in QuickBooks Desktop by re-installing this software. This can clear the trouble and let them operate it easily. Another possible fix for removing the 1712 issue can be processed by adding up a new user to the Windows User Account. This account can then be used to sign in to the computer. It should possibly eliminate the problem.
3.1) Fix 1: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop
At times, you may download a corrupted file of the Desktop version of the accounting program. This may create difficulties while installing it. Thus, this issue can be stated as the error 1712 when installing QuickBooks for Desktop version. To solve this, you may try reinstalling the software. By downloading a new file from the official QuickBooks Desktop website, you can go ahead with this measure.
- By clicking on the below-given link, you will be navigated to the “QuickBooks Versions Download Resources Page”:
- Opt for the “Change” button here.
- Next, the “Edition of the Product” among the given versions is to be chosen:
- “United Kingdom (UK)
- “United States (US)
- “Canada (CA)
- Continue fixing the error 1712 QuickBooks Desktop issue by moving to the “Select Product” field.
- Here, you are required to pick the “QuickBooks Desktop” edition, that you need, from the following options:
- Now, from the column of “Version”, opt for the desired one.
Tip: It is recommendable to download the latest Desktop version of the software.
- The “Search” tab is to be pressed.
- In the current step, you are required to tap on the “Download” tab.
- After the download is finished, move to the location where the downloaded file has been saved.
- Click twice on it to initiate the installation process.
- Keep following the instructions that are being directed.
- Tap on the “Finish” tab once the installation is done.
- Launch the accounting software for confirming that the fix has resolved the error 1712 when installing QuickBooks for desktop.
3.2) Fix 2: Adding Another Windows User Account
On Windows, a damaged data file can be a possible reason behind the occurrence of the QuickBooks error 1712. This file can affect the User Account in utilization. Thus, the programs being operated via this account may also receive an effect in the form of errors like 1712.
Hence, if you find that your accounting software is not operating properly and is creating the issue of the error 1712, then you may add a new user to your Windows User Account. You can proceed with this fix using the Settings of your system. From here, you can add another account. It can be preferred when you access the Intuit accounting software.
Tip: You can create a backup of the QuickBooks Company File so that your data is not deleted. Later, it can safely be restored even after you decide to update the software. Along with this, you need to back up the Windows computer also so that your data doesn’t get lost or damaged.
- Find the “Windows Settings” and open it.
- Navigate to “Accounts”.
- Tap on “Family & Other Users”.
- Then the “Add Someone Else to the Computer” tab is to be chosen.
- In case your “Email ID” is requested, do not fill it out.
- Instead of mentioning the email address, select “I don’t have this Person’s Sign-in Information”.
- Now, press “Add a User without Microsoft Account”.
- Create a fresh “Username” along with a “Password”.
- Click on “Next”.
- You are required to make the newly created account as “Administrator”.
- On the same screen of “Account Settings”, pick the account that has been created by you now.
- Opt for “Change Account Type” for clearing error 1712 QuickBooks Desktop.
- Here, the user has to be changed from “Standard” to “Administrator”.
- Hit “Ok”.
Visit the QuickBooks Desktop software. Then head towards the company file and verify that the issue has been eliminated. When the problem is still not over, do check that you have entered the correct username and password. While setting up the new Windows User Account, adding such details with accuracy is important.
In the End
Numerous circumstances can make users suffer from the QuickBooks error 1712. However, if you have knowledge about the causes from a deeper end, then you can successfully get rid of them. This can also help you in fixing the problem in less time. Keep in mind that this error can occur again when you are installing the software again or on a new system. Therefore, its prevention will be suggested by not letting the causes prevail.