To run the QuickBooks company file without any interruptions, you need to make sure that it is completely protected. Any damage in the file can hamper its functioning and lead to the QuickBooks error 6123 0. Therefore, the access to the company file may get restrained and your work may come to a halt. Thus, uninstalling the data file and then reinstalling it using proper measures can let you get rid of the 6123 error. Along with implementing the fix on the QuickBooks software, you may process multiple other fixes on its different versions as well. On QuickBooks Desktop, 2017 and 2018, both 6123 causes and fixes can vary.
- 1. Factors Causing the QuickBooks Error -6123
- 2. How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
- 2.1) Fix 1: Renaming the .ND and .TLG Files
- 2.2) Fix 2: Restoring the Backup via Movable Company File
- 3. Troubleshooting the Error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017
- 4. Fixes to Resolve the Error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018
- 5. What are the Ways to Fix the Error 6123 0 in QuickBooks Desktop?
1. Factors Causing the QuickBooks Error -6123
The data connection has to be stable while working on the accounting software or its file for it to operate efficiently. When this is not so, there can be some issues with the network connection. The network may get disrupted because of adverse weather or a weak signal. As an outcome of this situation, QuickBooks error 6123 0 may be triggered. It can then prevent you from accessing this company file.
There have been other causes as well apart from the network issue which can lead to the 6123 0 error code:
- The QuickBooks program files may be damaged/corrupted.
- Numerous QuickBooks Database Services may have been running on the system.
- You may have been trying to open the same data file in the latest version of the accounting software.
- In case you have unknowingly chosen the Block Web Error tab in your anti-virus software, the company file may not run. Due to this, you may have to see a dialog box with an error statement: “Error: -6123, 0. We’re Sorry, But QuickBooks Can’t Open Your Company File.”
- The QuickBooks error -6123 can be visible when the data file is damaged.
- A corrupted Windows system can also be responsible for the 6123 error.
- The firewall network may have been creating a blockage between the server and the company file.
2. How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
At times, you may have to undergo some trouble in opening the QuickBooks company file due to the 6123 0 error code. When this happens, users can navigate to the .ND and .TLG files in the company file folder and rename them. This fix can make you come out of the QuickBooks error 6123 0. Another fix that can be taken into reference is to restore the company file backup. Also, it is essential to carry out the restoration process through a portable data file to prevent this error.
2.1) Fix 1: Renaming the .ND and .TLG Files
There can be some technical issues in the QuickBooks files that can eventually degrade or corrupt them. This can cause the 6123 error code due to which difficulties can be created while attempting to run the company data file. To remove the error, you may rename the .TLG and .ND files. To locate these files, you need to search for them in the folder of the QuickBooks company file itself.
Proceed with the following directions to know how to fix QuickBooks error 6123 0:
- Open the “Company File” folder.
- In this folder, you need to look for the file with the “.ND” extension.
- Once found, right-click on it and opt for “Rename”.
- Here, type “.OLD” at the end of the name.
Note: Do not remove the “.ND” extension that is already there. Simply add “.OLD” at its end.
- Following the same steps from the beginning, you now need to search for the “.TLG” file.
- After you get it, rename the file as mentioned in steps 3 and 4.
- When the names of both the files get changed, visit the company file.
When the data file resumes normal operations, you may rest assured that the QuickBooks error 6123 0 has been fixed. Supposing that the error occurs again in the near term, you may use the same fix to dissolve it.
2.2) Fix 2: Restoring the Backup via Movable Company File
For security concerns, the accounting software may sometimes only provide permissions for restoring the company data file within the same system where the QuickBooks backup file was stored. In case you try to recover the backup file on a new computer apart from the one on which it was made, you may encounter the QuickBooks error -6123 0. To come out of this issue easily, you will have to generate a portable company file. Then you can restore the backup file from your old system to the new one and dismiss the error 6123.
- Run “QuickBooks” on the PC where its backup was created.
- Press “File”.
- Go to the “Create Copy” option.
- Opt for the “Create Portable Company File” tab.
- Hit “Next”.
- Provide a new name to the company data file.
- Then the location needs to be chosen where the company file will be saved.
- Pick the “Save” option followed by “Ok”.
- After this, you are required to shift the movable company data file to another system where the backup is to be restored.
- Launch “QuickBooks” on the new computer now.
- Move further to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 6123 by choosing the “File” button.
- Next, click on the “Restore a Portable File” option.
- Select “Next”.
- The portable data file having the “.qbm” extension needs to be browsed now.
- Head to the “Open” button.
- On the page “Where Do You Want to Save Your Backup Copy”, make sure that you have carefully gone through the instructions. Choose the option that is the most appropriate.
- Opt for “Next”.
- Lastly, click on the “Save” tab. The QuickBooks error -6123 may have been eliminated by this time. You may now start running your file again.
3. Troubleshooting the Error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017
When the program files of the accounting software get damaged, it may start developing the error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017. This may also limit you from using the company file. Hence, when the 6123 issue takes place, you need to uninstall the software and reinstall it. You may either download the program from the internet or install it directly through an installation CD.
- Keep a note of the following items before beginning the procedure:
- “Product Details”
- “License Number”
- Using the “Control Panel”, uninstall the “QuickBooks 2017” version that you have on the system.
- Download the same version again.
- You may also make use of the accounting software’s installation “CD” to reinstall it and eliminate the error 6123 QuickBooks 2017.
Important: Make sure that the software is being installed in the “Normal” mode.
- Once installed, type the “Product Details”, “License Number” and all the other required information.
Note: Take care that you have been entering the same details which you had noted down earlier.
- Once done, the program will immediately be registered and the leads will be activated for usage.
- Now, try to open the data file.
4. Fixes to Resolve the Error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018
When experiencing the error 6123 0 QuickBooks 2018 owing to some problem in the data connection, opening the company file may become troublesome. During such an instance, using the QuickBooks File Doctor tool is suggested. This tool has been specifically developed to repair the damaged company file and assist you in resolving various network issues. The tool is easily accessible through the QuickBooks Tool Hub application. You just need to run it and within a few moments, it will automatically scan and fix the 6123 error.
- Head to “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Here, click on the “Company File Issues” option.
- Then press “Run QuickBooks File Doctor”.
- From the available drop-down menu, you need to opt for your company data file.
- In case you are unable to find the file, choose the “Browse” option to search for it.
- Now, tap on “Check Your File”.
- In this step, hit “Continue”.
- Mention the “Admin Password” of the software.
- Begin the repair process by pressing “Continue”.
- Within a few moments, the tool will complete its fix.
- After the fix is over, choose your data file from the list of files.
- In the end, launch the accounting software.
Now, you may move on to the company file and check whether access to the file has been regained. By doing so, a confirmation can be provided for the fix for the error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018.
5. What are the Ways to Fix the Error 6123 0 in QuickBooks Desktop?
The inability to access your company file may indicate the presence of the error 6123 0 in QuickBooks Desktop. When you start noticing the same, you can make use of the Quick Fix my Program tool. It will perform a quick fix on the software and troubleshoot the 6123 issue. Alternatively, executing an update on an outdated QuickBooks Desktop software may also aid in clearing out the 6123 0 error. Thus, you can gain back access to the data file.
5.1) Fix 1: Use Quick Fix my Program
Certain technological issues may hamper operations on the QuickBooks company file. This may pose issues when trying to open the file, thus, resulting in the 6123 error QuickBooks Desktop. Using the Quick Fix my Program tool may be advantageous. Once run, the tool will automatically diagnose and repair the 6123 issue. Since this tool is available within the QuickBooks Tool Hub application, you need to have this app installed on the Desktop.
- Click two times on the icon of “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Opt for the “Program Problems” section.
- Next, tap on the” Quick Fix my Program” button.
- After the tool completes its operation, you need to close it and open the accounting software.
- Now, attempt creating a backup of the company file to see if the error 6123 0 in QuickBooks Desktop has been dismissed.
5.2) Fix 2: Update the Accounting Program
When users do not install the most recent version of accounting software, its performance begins to deteriorate. As a result, it may begin to interfere with the activities of the company file and prohibit you from running it. A message may appear on the page informing you that the 6123 error code has occurred. Hence, updating QuickBooks Desktop is required at this time.
In the End
While you open your company file, you may see the QuickBooks error 6123 due to various reasons discussed here. Knowing them will help you safely run the file. If, at all, the 6123 0 error appears, then apply the most suitable fix to troubleshoot it. Keep in mind that every fix is applied in the same manner as told here.