Users may come through a time when their accounting software, QB, stops all of a sudden. This may further be accompanied by a dialog box, with the error “QuickBooks was Unable to Open the Company File (Path) Located on the Host Computer”. This message arises when the software is undergoing the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816. These errors can occur if the company file of the program is logged in by two separate users at a single time while being in the single-user mode. Besides this, the desktop version of QB can also be affected by the same error codes. Therefore, accurately executing the fixes for these can let you get rid of the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816 effortlessly.
- 1. Reasons that Cause QuickBooks Errors 6190 and 816
- 2. How can You Fix QuickBooks Error Codes 6190 and 816?
- 2.1) Fix 1: Utilizing QuickBooks File Doctor
- 2.2) Fix 2: Closing All the QB Processes from the Server
- 2.3) Fix 3: Using QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- 2.4) Fix 4: Renaming Transaction Log and Network Data Files
- 2.5) Fix 5: Checking Single-user Mode in QuickBooks
- 3. How can I Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Errors 6190 and 816?
1. Reasons that Cause QuickBooks Errors 6190 and 816
While working on the accounting software, you might encounter the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816 because of a failure in the update process. This type of fault generally takes place if you start updating the company file without having updated the Transaction Log File.
Similarly, various other reasons that can contribute to these error codes have been outlined below:
- A corrupted QB data file can lead the way in generating these errors.
- In case of a mismatch between the company file and the transaction file, errors 6190 816 can take place.
- When two different users try to sign in to a company file at once, particularly in the single-user mode, the 6190 and 816 errors can occur.
- Such error codes can also happen when the Network Descriptor file has been damaged.
2. How can You Fix QuickBooks Error Codes 6190 and 816?
The use of the File Doctor Tool during the occurrence of the QuickBooks errors 6190 and 816 can emerge to be beneficial. This tool is recommended especially when the reason behind the occurrence of the problem is not known to you. Correspondingly, you can turn down all the processes of the software through the server for eliminating the trouble. Apart from these, you can even try to change the name of the Transaction Log and Network data file if the errors 6190 and 816 are still not fixed.
2.1) Fix 1: Utilizing QuickBooks File Doctor
Your QB software may stop working suddenly due to some unknown causes. Afterward, the software may start showing errors 816 and 6190. At this point, downloading the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can be useful. It is more like an application developed by Intuit that automatically finds the fault in the accounting software that is causing the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816. Hence, when you go through these errors, it is advisable to make use of this application or tool. Users can easily find this application on the official website of Intuit.
Note: Before proceeding with the fix, do check that you are using the latest version of the software. If not, then go for updating it first to maintain the security of your data.
- The “QuickBooks File Doctor” file needs to be downloaded from Intuit’s official website.
- Once it is downloaded, install the tool.
- Open the file and login as the “Administrator”.
- The following options will come up on the screen:
- “Both File Damage and Connectivity”
- “Network Connectivity Only”
You need to check-mark the first choice given.
- Wait for the damaged file to be identified by the tool.
- Once the instructions to fix the QuickBooks error code 6190 816 appear on the screen, you will have to mention the “Admin Password”.
- After this, you will be prompted to answer if you have stored the company file on the server or not. In case the file has been saved on the server, choose “Yes”. Otherwise, tap on “No”.
- Next, head to the “Proceed” button.
- Now, the error 6190/816 in your accounting software should be resolved. Kindly ensure the same.
When the error gets resolved, make certain that you properly close the tool. In case this is not done, QuickBooks File Doctor can crash or stop working. Consequently, you will be unable to fix errors like 6190 and 816 in the future when the tool is unable to work.
2.2) Fix 2: Closing All the QB Processes from the Server
A technical malfunction in the accounting software might turn out into the QuickBooks error 6190 816. Thus, shutting down each of the QB processes from the main server can help you in solving it. You are required to remember the admin credentials for signing in to the server computer. Then ending the processes will be possible.
- The server computer is to be logged in using the credentials of the admin.
- To open the “Task Manager”, press the “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Esc” keys together.
- Move to the “User” button.
- Here, you can find “Each User Process”. Click on the same.
- The below-mentioned processes have to be ended:
- Now, the “Multi-user Mode” is to be opened in QuickBooks. Then you have to confirm if the error codes 816 and 6190 have been cleared.
2.3) Fix 3: Using QuickBooks Refresher Tool
Along with fixing the other errors, the QuickBooks Refresher Tool is specially designed by Intuit for troubleshooting issues like the QB 6000 error series. In case you encounter the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816 and are not able to work on your software any further, you can make use of this tool. You can easily find it on the internet and carry out its download.
Once you download the tool, here is what you need to do:
- The downloaded file would be named “qbrefresherv1.exe”.
- Look for the file and double-tap on it.
- Through the “Task Manager”, you need to stop all the background programs that have been running.
- For refreshing the software, the directions appearing on the window are to be followed.
- After doing so, re-visit the “QB Company File”. Then you have to verify the fix for the QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816.
2.4) Fix 4: Renaming Transaction Log and Network Data Files
The Transaction Log file keeps the record of each of the transactions that occur through the software. On the other hand, Network Data is a file that refers to the information that is created or stored while using the network. Sometimes, certain conditions can be generated where a mismatch can take place between both files. This can then result in the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816. During this problematic time, it is advisable to change the names of both files to fix the problem quickly.
- First, the “Company folder” needs to be opened.
- Then look for the company file.
Note: You need to be careful during this procedure as the “Company file” and the “TLG file” would be named the same. However, the extensions will not be similar to each other.
- The following files would be appearing in the folder:
Here, you need to first opt for “company_file.qbw.nd”.
- The file is to be renamed. You can also simply add “OLD” at the end of the extension such as in this way:
Note: While renaming the file, you need to take care that the extension present at the end of the company file’s name is not changed or deleted.
- Using the same directions that have been highlighted above, you are required to rename the “TLG” file as well.
- Hit the “Exit” button once you have finished changing the names of the files.
- This would eliminate the QuickBooks error 6190 816. Now, you can run your software with ease.
2.5) Fix 5: Checking Single-user Mode in QuickBooks
It is important to realize that there can be times when, unknowingly, two different users sign in to the same QB company file at similar timings. Due to this, your software may stop functioning. Gradually, it may result in the QuickBooks error code 6190 816. Therefore, it is advisable to sign out all the users initially. Then carry out some simple steps to recover from the issue. These steps revolve around checking the single-user mode of the software.
- Make sure to check that you have logged out all the users from QuickBooks.
- Then the system needs to be restarted.
- In this step, the data file has to be copied either to some other location away from its main source or to the desktop.
- After this, the same file needs to be copied again to its original address.
- Now, log in again on QB to view the clearance of the error 6190 816.
3. How can I Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Errors 6190 and 816?
Errors such as 6190 and 816 can come up on the Desktop version of the QuickBooks software. This is likely given that you have not updated the program for a long time. Hence, you can get rid of the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816 in the Desktop version by correctly updating the software. Along with this, you can turn on the Get Updates button. It will help you know about the updates available long before error codes like these ones arise.
- Your “QBDT Company File” is to be closed down.
- After this, shut down the accounting software too.
- Then head towards the QBDT icon on your PC and right-click on it.
- Next, choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Following this, the “No Company Open” screen will pop up.
- Then tap on “Help”.
- Now, the “Update QuickBooks” option is to be selected.
- Head to the “Options” button.
- Opt for “Mark All”.
- Hit the “Save” tab in this step.
- Move forward to pressing “Get Updates”.
- You will now find a message appearing on the screen that states “Update Complete”. Then you need to close the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Open the accounting software once again.
- In case a message arises on the window, asking you for installing the update, go for “Yes”.
- Once the installation process is over, the computer needs to be restarted.
- Navigate to QBDT to see if the QuickBooks Desktop error 6190 and 816 have been successfully troubleshot.
Just in case the error is available even now, you can launch the software one more time. Hopefully, the code should not come up this time.
Facing QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816 can become hectic when a user is carrying out some important work. Thus, it is preferable to go through the reasons behind it. Once you know the reasons from the deeper end, finding and applying the right fixes would eventually become easier. Concerning this, the post would have helped you in understanding the origin of the error and guiding you with the ways to fix it.