If you receive an error IND-516-01 in TurboTax, it means that the tax return has been rejected by IRS because another taxpayer has claimed you on their tax return, it may mean that you are considered a dependent on someone else’s return.
If you believe that you were claimed in error or if you have questions about your dependent status, you can contact the IRS or consult with a tax professional for guidance on how to resolve the issue.
- How to Resolve IND-516-01?
- Here are the steps you can take to fill out Form 1040x:
- What Steps need to be followed to fix IND-516-01 in TurboTax?
How to Resolve IND-516-01?
If you have filed your tax return and received a rejection code IND-516-01 from the IRS stating that another taxpayer has claimed you as a dependent, and you believe this is incorrect, you may need to file an amended tax return to correct the error. The form you will need to fill out to file an amended tax return is Form 1040x.
Here are the steps you can take to fill out Form 1040x:
- Obtain a copy of your original tax return: You will need a copy of the original tax return you filed, even if it was rejected by the IRS with code IND 516-01.
- Complete form 1040x: Fill out form 1040x, including the corrected or updated information. Indicate in Part III, explanation of changes, that you are correcting your dependent status because another taxpayer claimed you as a dependent on their return.
- Attach any necessary forms or schedules: If you need to attach any schedules or forms to support the changes on form 1040x, include them with your amended return.
- Sign and date the form: Make sure you sign and date the amended return, and include your current contact information, including your phone number and email address.
- Mail the form to the appropriate address: Once you have completed form 1040x, mail it to the appropriate address. The IRS has a separate address for amended tax returns, which can be found on the instructions for Form 1040x.
Also, get a solution about How to fix IRS Reject Code R0000-507-01
What Steps need to be followed to fix IND-516-01 in TurboTax?
If you IND-516-01 in TurboTax you can take the following steps to correct the issue in the application:
Log into your TurboTax account:
Go to TurboTax.com and log in to your account.
Access your rejected return:
If you have not already done so, access your rejected return by clicking on the “Fix my return” or “Amend my return” button.
Review your dependent status:
Check your dependent status to see if you were incorrectly claimed by another taxpayer. If you were, select the option to indicate that you were not claimed as a dependent on anyone else’s tax return.
Correct any other errors:
If there are any other errors on your tax return, such as an incorrect Social Security number, address, or income, correct them before resubmitting your return.
Resubmit your return:
After correcting any errors, resubmit your tax return to the IRS. TurboTax will automatically update the information on your return and resubmit it electronically to the IRS.
Wait for the IRS to process your return:
After resubmitting your return, it may take the IRS several weeks to process it. You can check the status of your return on the IRS website or by calling their toll-free number.
Amend your return if necessary:
If the IRS rejects your resubmitted return or if you receive a notice from the IRS indicating that you need to amend your return, you will need to file an amended return using form 1040x.
if encounter IND-516-01 in TurboTax, it means IRS has rejected your tax return due to another taxpayer claiming you as a dependent, it’s important to take action promptly. Verify your dependent status, request a copy of the accepted return, and file an amended return if necessary to correct any errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can still file your tax return even if someone else has claimed you as a dependent.
Verify your dependent status and contact the person who claimed you as a dependent to resolve the issue.
In general, it can take 4 months for the IRS to process a rectified tax return.