Processing a credit card payment involves more steps than just swiping the item. When the payment has to be processed in QuickBooks, you will require a lot of information to be added to the software. This information needs to be entered in a particular way. Followed by this, you will be able to understand how to process credit card payments in QuickBooks Online and other versions. Speaking of its Online version, you will be required to first set up a payment account for your card. In other versions such as QuickBooks Desktop and Point of Sale, you can directly connect your payment account. Followed by this, you can process the payments through your credit card for the customers.
- Can You Process Credit Card Payments through QuickBooks?
- Setup to Process Credit Card Payment in QuickBooks Online
- How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Online?
- How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Desktop?
- How do I Process a Credit Card Payment in QuickBooks Point of Sale?
- FAQs- How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Online, Desktop, and Point of Sale?
Can You Process Credit Card Payments through QuickBooks?
Intuit Merchant Service is an important platform to which access will be needed for recording credit card payments in this software. You can avail of free access to it and then link it to QuickBooks. After this, you will have to accept payments through your credit card. To further tell you how to process a credit card payment in QuickBooks, you can use the menu named Customer. It will show the prompts relevant to this method.
- You will have to find the following page using a browser:
- “Intuit Merchant Service”
- Look for the section called “QuickBooks”.
- Then you have to press the button for “See Pricing”.
- Specify which version of the accounting software you are using.
- In this step, you have to push “Try it Free!”.
- The next page will ask you to add your details to get an account on “Intuit Merchant Service”.
Note: Please keep in mind that this account will be used to represent the user’s business.
- You have to use the following option now:
- “I’m Ready to Accept Credit Cards”
- Wait until the approval is received.
- Then you have to create this account. For this, the page will share certain directions with you. Keep following them.
- Come to “QuickBooks” installed on the system.
- The user needs to proceed to the menu that says “Customer”.
- It will indicate the option “Receive Payments”. Select the same.
- Tap on the button for “Learn About Credit Card Processing”.
- The payment has to be accepted via the card. Use the option “Credit Card”.
- Add the number for this card and then swipe it.
- Later on, this payment will be recorded by you in “QuickBooks” unlike any other amount received.
Setup to Process Credit Card Payment in QuickBooks Online
This software lets you process/record the payments of a credit card. However, it is essential that you set up an account for this card. When the account details and other settings have been verified, you can go ahead with processing credit card payments in QuickBooks Online.
Before you understand how the setup is to be initiated, see to it that every detail relating to your credit card and the associated bank account is available.
- Locate the “Gear” icon in “QuickBooks Online”.
- Look for the option of “Your Company”.
- Tap on the button “Account and Settings”
- Come to the section “Payments”.
- Ensure whether or not an account for “QuickBooks Payments” exists. In case it does not, please tap on “Learn More”.
- Apply for the said account. In order to do so, you will have to mention “Payment Deposit Info”. In this, the bank account for the deposits/fees of your credit card will have to be mentioned. Tap on “Add” for this purpose.
- After the account has been added, kindly press “Save”.
- Now, you have to enter “Business Info”.
- Followed by this, please mention “Personal Info”.
- Assuming that you are making a setup for processing credit card payments in QuickBooks Online initially, you will notice “Start”. Otherwise, “View” will be available. You can select one button accordingly. This will help you in further establishing the setup.
- Afterward, you can tap on “Get Set up”.
- The settings for payments need to be reviewed now. Go to “Payments”.
- Arrive at “Merchant Details”.
- Tap on the button for “Manage Account”.
- Then you have to pick your account for payments.
- View “Deposit Accounts” followed by this. You may or may not change the account as required.
- See “Chart of Accounts”. Here, you can verify the accounts for deposits as well as processing payments.
- Tap anywhere in “COA”. Then you will see “Processing Fees”. This has to be chosen.
- Pick one expense account. This will be the account to which the processing fee will be charged.
Note: Should you not find the desired account in QuickBooks Online, then you may establish a new one. For this, hit “+Add New”. You will find it in a dropdown.
- Once your expense account has been added, you have to push “Save”.
How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Online?
You will find 2 ways to process your customers’ payments from your credit card. It is common to use a customer’s sales receipt for processing the same. In addition to this, you can use the invoice method. It will indicate how to process credit card payments in QuickBooks Online by entering the information of every invoice. Though both methods are somewhat similar, certain variations can be involved in their execution.
Method 1: By Issuing a Sales Receipt
For processing a payment via your credit card, you need to issue a sales receipt to a customer. After it is issued, you will be asked by QuickBooks Online to enter the details of your card-associated account. With this, it will be clearer how to process a credit card payment in QuickBooks Online. This method will additionally let you verify the status of the payment.
- Start by making one sales receipt. You have to tap “+New”.
- Look for “Customers” in the software.
- Then visit “Sales Receipt”.
- Hit the button titled “Payment Method”.
- Specify the payment form.
- This is followed by pressing “Enter Credit Card Details”.
- Fill in the information relating to your card or its account.
- Select the “Use this Info” tab.
- You will have nearly ten minutes to process credit card payment in QuickBooks Online.
Note: After this, the information added above will be deleted from your receipt for sales. Then you will have to add it again.
- You will now be headed to the screen called “Sales Receipt”. Here, you will notice the 4 digits given at the end of your credit card’s number. Verify them.
- Knowing that these digits are correct, use “Save and Send”.
- The receipt has to be opened again via “Sales”.
- Tap on “All Sales”.
- Look for the receipt of the transaction that you made.
- Make certain that this document mentions “Transaction Processed”.
- Hit the “Transaction Processed” button.
- Choose between “Refund” and “Print” to get done with this method.
Method 2: Via an Invoice
When online invoices are not paid by your customers, you can process card payments by adding these documents. How to process a credit card payment in QuickBooks Online can be understood by adding the complete financial details. After this, the software will ask you to add the correct details of your card. Once you save these details, you will be able to record the transaction made through the credit card.
- Use the “+New” option in the “QuickBooks Online” software.
- Then you have to tap on “Receive Payment”.
- Press the dropdown which is given below “Payment Method”.
- Choose one processor for your credit card.
- Then you have to hit “Enter Credit Card Details”.
- In the new window, the information of your account for this card needs to be added.
- Accompanied by this, push “Use this Info”.
- Finish your transaction in 10 minutes after which the added details will be removed.
- Let us now save the transaction you have initiated. Verify the ending four digits of your card as well as tap “Save and Close”.
How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop can let you record credit card payments after fulfilling 2 main requirements. The first requirement is to have an active QuickBooks Payments account. You can activate or connect it via the settings. Secondly, you will require a card reader. In this process, you will have to swipe the card item to execute the transaction. With this, it will get recorded in the accounting software
The following will further explain how can you process credit card payments through QuickBooks Desktop.
- See to it that you have signed up for an account on “QuickBooks Payments”.
- Then your card reader will have to be connected. Attach it to your system using a USB.
- Now, you have to start running “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Through the reader, the payments have to be processed in the software. Tap on “Customers”.
- Then you have to click on “Create Sales Receipts”.
- Hit the option of “Customer: Job”.
- Include the services, as well as products, for which payments have to be collected from customers.
- Likewise, you have to fill in the information for other receipts.
- Choose one of these to specify the method of payment:
Tip: To easily process the payments via a credit card, you will be suggested to go with the first option.
- Then push “Save & Close”.
- For invoices that involve in-person payments, you can head to “Customers”.
- Click on the option “Receive Payments”.
- Using “Received From”, you will be able to pick a customer relating to an invoice.
- Choose one invoice for this customer.
- Again opt for “Save & Close”.
- Given that you have selected “Visa”, then you will find a window opening. Here, record the details of your card.
- Hit the “Done” option.
Tip: As an alternative to adding the details, you can use the card reader. Tap on “Insert/Swipe Card”. After this, your credit card has to be swiped via the reader.
- In the next step, you have to press “Process Payment”.
Note: When you are choosing “Check”, an authorization form will have to be signed. Afterward, the transaction can be processed from the account of your customer.
How do I Process a Credit Card Payment in QuickBooks Point of Sale?
Entering payments of a card in QuickBooks Point of Sale can be progressed after ensuring that the hardware for the software has been set up. After doing this, it will be important to update QuickBooks to the compatible version. Without these requirements, you will find the program getting interrupted while the credit card processes the transactions. Then you can move ahead to learn how to process a credit card payment in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
- Check the settings of this software. You will see an option to create an account relating to “QuickBooks Payments”. Use that option and then proceed.
Note: In case you already have this account, please connect it to “QuickBooks Point of Sale”.
- From the home page, you have to opt for “Make a Sale”.
- Decide the way to add the order of your customer. If you are manually adding the products in this order, then their amounts will also be adjusted by you.
- To generate the payment, choose “Credit”.
- The following 4 options will be provided to your customer:
- “PIN Pad”
- After processing the payment through one of these, check whether or not any amount is due. Then you can adjust that as well.
- Hit “Authorize Now”.
- Save the details/changes in the end.
- The credentials of your account on “Intuit Merchant Service” will now be utilized to link it with “QuickBooks”.
- Start processing the payment to be received from your customer via your credit card.
Words in Conclusion
How to process credit card payments in QuickBooks Desktop, Online, etc., should be understood with clarity. As you would now know, beyond swiping your credit card, there are more steps to do to record your payments. Sometimes, you will have to create accounts on platforms other than QuickBooks. In some versions, you will be asked for invoice details and sales receipts. Thus, the method to record can vary but must be correctly done at all times for accuracy.
FAQs- How to Process Credit Card Payments in QuickBooks Online, Desktop, and Point of Sale?
You may not be able to automate the process of recording credit card payments. This is due to the details of your customers and the card that must be entered manually during the process. Also, there is a certain time limit to processing the payments. After this, QuickBooks Online will automatically clear the details. Hence, as of now, you will have to rely on the manual approach.
It is simple to understand how to process credit card payments in QuickBooks by having an account on Intuit Merchant Service. This is a platform that allows you to register for free. Once you have done the registration, you can simply link this account with that of QuickBooks. It will be effortless to process your transactions afterward.
You will require a card reader when processing the payments in this version of the software. To connect that, a USB cable will be essential. As you attach it, the card reader and your system will be linked. Then you can seamlessly process the transactions in QuickBooks Desktop, provided that you follow a proper method.
When you are trying to comprehend how to process a credit card payment in QuickBooks, adding an account on Intuit Merchant Service will be useful. This is because it comes with the pricing option. Without access to this, it may be difficult to carry out the method.
In QuickBooks Online or any version of the software, processing the payments means recording them. When you use a credit card of your customer for this purpose, the transaction may occur. However, it may not automatically get recorded in this software. Therefore, after you swipe the said card, you will have to manually add it to QuickBooks Online.
Whenever you process a payment via your card, QuickBooks Online will store it in its “Settings”. To be specific, you will have to check “Account and Settings”. In its “Payments” tab, you will be guided to “Documents”. Here, the monthly transactions after processing credit card payments in QuickBooks Online are stored. You can tap on “View” to see them.
Users should understand that this is not a mandatory process. However, when you add the record of these payments in QuickBooks, they can be useful for businesses. Whenever accounting reports are required, this measure will ensure that you have complete and updated details.
The requirements for processing credit card payments in QuickBooks can be determined only after finding out its version. Commonly, a QuickBooks Payments account is needed. But specific to versions, Desktop users can require a USB wire. Likewise, the users of the Online version may need sales receipts or invoices.
Given that you are using QuickBooks Point of Sale, updating the software is one of the requirements to be completed. This is because when an old or outdated version is used, the accounting software may stop working in between. Then the process may fail and you will have to do it again. Moreover, your transactions may get stuck while processing.
It is best to check whether or not a QuickBooks credit card transaction has been processed. This can be done in the Online version. As you pick a sales receipt to start the method, you will find the “All Sales” feature. It will show you the receipt of that specific transaction. Further, the status will be mentioned in the document. On seeing “Transaction Processed”, you can be sure that the verification is over.