One of the best accounting applications is QuickBooks, which is used by the majority of users worldwide. Despite some great features and usefulness, it cannot be denied that this software has a lot of technical issues. One of the most common problems is QuickBooks error 15271, which occurs after a user downloads or updates the program.
This problem often occurs when a user installs or upgrades QuickBooks Desktop edition, such as QuickBooks Pro, Payroll, or Desktop. You can see one of the error messages below:
The payroll update did not complete, resulting in error 15271. Unable to verify a file.
Error 15271: The upgrade could not be completed successfully. It is not possible to verify a file.
- How to Distinguish Error 15271 in QuickBooks Application?
- Step to Remember Before Fixing QuickBooks error 15271
- Methods to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Update Error 15271
How to Distinguish Error 15271 in QuickBooks Application?
As we have already seen the error 15271 in QuickBooks is related to downloads and updates. However, there are several other factors that help you distinguish this error.
- If the QuickBooks pro application is not fully installed on the device or the downloaded software file is corrupted.
- This type of issue can also occur if the Windows registry is corrupted due to recent changes made to the QuickBooks pro program.
- This error can also occur if the Windows file system or software file is corrupted as a result of a malware attack.
- Another reason that could trigger the problem is when the QuickBooks pro-related files are accidentally destroyed.
- Windows files that are corrupted Windows files that require to run the software may be corrupted.
- An invalid Internet Explorer SSL certificate can also cause a problem.
Step to Remember Before Fixing QuickBooks error 15271
Please remember that the user should follow the procedures below and make a backup of the company file before proceeding with the problem resolution:
- First, launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then, navigate to the file’s menu.
- To create a local backup, press and then click on the company backup.
- The next step is to follow the on-screen instructions to create a backup of the company file.
Methods to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Update Error 15271
Now that you have learned how to distinguish the QuickBooks update error 15271, and have understood the steps to keep in mind before resolving it. We can now proceed with the troubleshooting methods.
Resolution #1: Switch off User Account Control (UAC) in Windows
This type of problem can often be fixed by disabling UAC in Windows and then updating your program again. You need to disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows to fix this issue. Please proceed as follows:
In Windows Vista:
- First, select the Windows option.
- Now select Control Panel.
- Type UAC in the search dialog box provided.
- Press the Enter key.
- Now click on ON or OFF to toggle UAC.
- Select the Ok key.
- Finally, restart your system.
On Windows 7, 8, and 10:
- Click to Start Menu and Open Control Panel
- Type UAC in the search box.
- Change the settings for User Account Control by clicking the button.
- To disable UAC, follow these steps: Move the slider to the Never notify position.
- Click the OK button. When asked for the Admin Password or confirmation, enter or confirm it. Restart your system if you still want to make changes.
- Now set your UAC to ON: Set the slider to indicate when you want to be notified.
- Select the Ok button.
Resolution #2: Scan Unused Files
In some circumstances, junk files or the system being affected by malware can cause QuickBooks error 15271. In such a scenario, you can perform a scan to get rid of unwanted files or any infection that might have caused the problem in the application.
- As a first step, run a full malware scan and remove all junk files (including temporary files).
- Update the drivers on your system.
- Then try to restore and repair the system via Windows system.
- Uninstall/reinstall the QuickBooks pro application and run Windows system file scan (sfc scannow) in this step.
- Install all the latest Windows updates.
- Finally, perform a clean installation of Windows OS.
To perform an SFC scan:
This procedure requires you to perform an SFC scan. Perform the below actions:
- Call the Command Prompt.
- Then you need to type sfc/scannow.
- A scan will be started.
- You must wait until it completes.
- Do not close the window before this time.
- When the scan is finished.
- Restart the system.
Resolution #3: Verify System Registry
Windows registry files are important files that are used to run a certain application, including QuickBooks. The problem 15271 can arise if these files are corrupted or damaged.
- First, repair the damaged registry using one of the system registry repair transactions.
- Then select the Start button.
- Without pressing Enter, type the command in the search dialog box and hold down the Ctrl + Shift keys before pressing Enter.
- Now go to the next step, i.e. select Yes, after which a Permissions dialog box will appear.
- During this stage, a black box will be displayed on your computer screen.
- After you have performed the above steps, type Regedit and click the button OK.
- Now, as seen in the following snapshot from a registry editor, select error 15271 and then Export from the main File menu.
- Next, select the folder where you want to save the backup, then select Save to save the file and verify that the branch code is selected from the export area.
- After that, repair all the virus attacks. After that, use a virus removal system to remove the infection from the system.
- Finally, remove all understandable advertising and junk entries from a system.
Resolution #4: Perform a Clean Install of the Software
You can perform a clean install if you continue to receive the QuickBooks payroll update error 15271. This can rectify any damages in the initial installation of the application.
- To get started, press the Windows key while holding down the R key on your keyboard.
- Run dialog box will open.
- Type msconfig.
- Then press the OK key.
- In Main Menu.
- Go to General Tab.
- You need to select Selective Startup.
- Now select Load system services.
- Then go to Services.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services
- Click on the Hide all tab.
- In Hide all Microsoft services
- Uncheck the box.
Resolution #5: Configure the Updated Version of QuickBooks
To get rid of QuickBooks error message 15271, you can try configuring the updated version of the application.
- When you go to the Help menu, you should select Update QuickBooks.
- Then, in the Update QuickBooks box, navigate to the choices.
- Now move to the next step, which is to enable automatic updates by simply clicking on the Update QuickBooks window.
- Then select the Close option.
- The QuickBooks program will then download the updated version.
QuickBooks Desktop software helps you manage the books and accounts of a particular business. However, like any other program, this accounting application is also prone to various errors and problems. One of them is QuickBooks error 15271. We hope that you found this post helpful and that you are now able to fix this issue yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, turning off UAC on your PC can help you get rid of QuickBooks Payroll Update issue #15271.
When faced with this error, the system will be slow in responding. It may freeze occasionally.
Before performing any troubleshooting steps, it is always important to backup all QuickBooks company files.