Updating the tax tables to the latest version becomes important when it comes to running payroll. However, in certain situations, while downloading the tax tables or sending the paychecks, the software may not work as usual. The instance can eventually be developed due to the QuickBooks error PS038. Such an issue is seen when your software has become outdated or your paychecks remain stuck while transferring them online. Some users may find an error message accompanied by it.
Until the PS038 error is fixed, the payroll feature may remain out of use. In addition, you may not be able to send the checks and complete your essential accounting operations.
- 1. What Causes the QuickBooks Error Code PS038?
- 2. How can I Clear the QuickBooks Error PS038?
- 2.1) Fix 1: Sending Payroll Data After Updating the Software
- 2.2) Fix 2: Use Backup of Payroll Data and Company File
- 3. How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038?
- 4. How to Resolve PS038 Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
1. What Causes the QuickBooks Error Code PS038?
Updating QuickBooks is significant. When you do so, various features of the software get modified. Features like payroll can often be updated by QuickBooks. On the off chance that these updates are not installed, the feature may encounter certain bugs. Hence, you may see the error PS038 in QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll.
When facing the QuickBooks error code PS038, you should be mindful of certain other causes too, apart from a lack of updates.
- Damage or corruption in the company file may be observed.
- Your paychecks may have been stuck while sending.
- The QuickBooks program may be outdated.
- Payroll updates may not have been installed properly.
- In case your Payroll subscription is not updated, you may still find the issue. The cause will be clearer when you see the message “You’ve Retrieved the Latest Payroll Update and Validated Your Payroll Subscription. We Strongly Recommend that You Go Online Again before mm/dd/yyyy. [PS038]”.
2. How can I Clear the QuickBooks Error PS038?
When you encounter the QuickBooks error code PS038, one of the best ways to resolve it is to send the payroll data properly. By sending it, you will ensure that any stuck data like paychecks do not affect the accounting software. Hence, the error will be fixed. In addition, if you are seeing the error due to a company file or payroll data, then you may seek to make a backup of both. This may eventually assist you in using both without finding the error code PS038.
2.1) Fix 1: Sending Payroll Data After Updating the Software
Users may discover that their paychecks or payroll data have got stuck while sending them online via the software. This can hamper the operations and end up causing the PS038 error in the accounting software. Therefore, you can resend the payroll data by using the Send Usage button and troubleshoot the QuickBooks error PS038.
Note: Before beginning to resolve the PS038 error code, ensure that your software has been updated to the most recent version. It is strongly advised that you backup your critical company files and data to avoid data loss.
- Head to the “Employees” button.
- Then opt for the “My Payroll Service” option.
- Next, click on “Send Usage Data”.
In case you are not able to find this tab, continue following the below steps:
- Move to “Employees”.
- Here, tap on the “Send Payroll Data” button.
- From the window of “Send/Receive Payroll Data”, choose “Send All”.
- Now, you need to fill in the “Payroll Service Pin” if asked.
After accurately performing the above-guided fix, the QuickBooks error PS038 may have been cleared by now. Your paychecks would also have been sent. Afterward, make an attempt to update the payroll data feature.
2.2) Fix 2: Use Backup of Payroll Data and Company File
The payroll data or company file may not be accessed due to the QuickBooks error code PS038. Either of these may become problematic for the users. Since both of them are important for the smooth working of your accounting software, you need to get a backup of the data and file. After doing so, you can use the backup for your work. Hence, the PS038 error may not occur then.
- Navigate to “QuickBooks”.
- Head to the “File” tab.
- Click on the option of “Back Up Company”.
- After this, opt for the “Create Local Backup” option.
- Once the “Create Backup” page opens up, move to “Local Backup”.
- To proceed with removing the QuickBooks error PS038, pick the “Options” tab.
- By doing so, the window for “Backup Options” will arise.
- Hit “Browse” in this step.
- The location where you want the backup copy to be stored needs to be chosen.
Note: The backup must not be saved on the first local drive. Select a file hosting service, flash drive, or any other removable media.
- After picking the location, tap on “Ok”.
With this, the QuickBooks error PS038 should be removed from your software. You can now go back and start functioning on it. Provided that the error persists, review the steps and check where you have gone wrong. Once the fault is detected, correct it.
3. How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038?
Your accounting software may start experiencing the error PS038 due to some technical issues relating to updates while sending the paychecks online. As a result of such issues, these checks may not be sent. Therefore, you need to find each of the paychecks that are stuck. After you’ve confirmed all of these paychecks, make a note of them and then send them again. This would, in time, resolve the QuickBooks Payroll update error PS038.
- On the “QuickBooks Payroll” homepage, click on the “Edit” tab.
- Next, press the “Find” option.
- Then click on “Advanced”.
- Here, you need to tap on “Choose Filter”.
- Hit “Detail Level” among the list of “Filter”.
- Now, pick “Summary Only”.
- Proceed again to the “Filter” menu.
- Move to the section “Online Status” in this step.
- The option “Online to Send” is to be chosen here.
- Opt for “Find”.
Paychecks that were not sent to the Intuit program can be seen now. Create a note of the Number of Matches from the Find screen for future use. This allows you to determine which paychecks were causing the QuickBooks Payroll update error PS038. Send them now so that the problem is completely resolved. Later on, ensure that the software is also updated.
4. How to Resolve PS038 Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
The PS038 error QuickBooks Desktop issue may have developed assuming that the accounting program has been experiencing problems with payroll data and the company file. Thus, you can try updating the software which may have become outdated. Your data and files should then be devoid of any bugs causing this error. Alternatively, you can launch certain utilities to verify the data of QuickBooks Desktop Payroll should the error PS038 be emerging on this version.
4.1) Fix 1: Update the QuickBooks Desktop Program
Users may become trapped in a situation wherein the software stops responding while intending to update the payroll feature. This usually happens when you haven’t been updating your accounting software to the most recent version. Due to this, it becomes out of date, resulting in the PS038 error in QuickBooks Desktop. Particularly when you use your data or files often, regular updates should be installed.
- Navigate to “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then move to the “Help” button.
- Now, click on the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option.
- Tap on “Update Now”.
- The “Get Updates” tab is to be chosen here.
- Wait for the update to finish.
Once done, close the software and restart your computer to completely discard the PS038 error. Further, head towards the accounting program and relaunch it. Now, examine whether the functions have been running smoothly.
4.2) Fix 2: Checking and Rebuilding Company File on QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
While updating the payroll feature, your accounting software may crash. This issue can arise when the program encounters the PS038 error code. Furthermore, when your file data is affected, the code may be persistent. Checking the company file and then rebuilding it can help you easily solve the PS038 error in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll. While performing both processes, the utility tab can well serve as a critical button.
- Head to the “QuickBooks Desktop” software.
- Next, proceed to the “File” tab.
- Here, tap on “Utilities”.
- Then hit the “Verify Data” option.
- Press “Ok” for closing down all the windows that are open.
- In case the accounting software does not find any issue, select “Ok”.
Once you have checked the company file, it then needs to be rebuilt. Keep following these steps for rebuilding its data:
Important: Make sure to create a backup of the QuickBooks company file before beginning the rebuilding process. In case you do not make a backup, your data may get affected.
- Click on “File”.
- Visit the “Utilities” button in this step.
- Then move to the “Rebuild Data” tab.
- Next, the “Ok” option is to be chosen.
- Opt for “Ok” so that a backup can be created.
- Once the data has been rebuilt, hit “View Results”.
- After viewing it, you are required to update the payroll feature once more.
Paychecks getting stuck because of being sent online can be one of the essential reasons behind the occurrence of the QuickBooks error PS038. Several other sources too can create the issue. Thus, you need to go through every possible cause. Once known to you, imply the PS038 error fix to restore your software to an error-free state.