Generally, taxpayers have the option to file their tax returns electronically, which is fast, secure, and convenient. But in some cases, they can get the TurboTax reject code IND-163. This code means the IRS may require taxpayers to print and mail their tax returns instead of e-filing.
This could be due to various reasons, such as technical issues with the IRS e-file system, incomplete or incorrect information on the return, or suspected identity theft or fraud.
What is e-file Rejection Code IND-163?
The rejection number IND -163 indicates that the AGI or self-disclosure PIN filed with IRS does not match the data you entered. After a certain number of rejections, various e-filing options are no longer accessible.
Methods to Resolve TurboTax Reject Code IND-163
No matter what TurboTax product you are using. If you encounter the error TurboTax reject code IND-163, you can follow the methods below to resolve it. Here you will be guided on how to print and mail your returns.
If the error IRS IND-163 arises in the online version of TurboTax. Then do the following:
- Open your TurboTax online tax return by selecting “Continue” or “Pick up where you left off”.
- Select File from the menu.
- There are three steps. If you haven’t already done so, complete steps 1 and 2 and then select “Start” or “Repeat” next to step 3.
- On the We Found the Easiest Way to File Your Taxes page.
- select Change next to the tax return you want to file by mail.
- then select File by Mail on the following screen.
- Make sure you save
Note: If the “File by mail” option is not available, you probably chose to pay your TurboTax expenses along with your tax return. To file your tax return by mail, you will need to pay with a credit or debit card instead. Learn how to switch from paying by tax return to paying by credit or debit card here. When you change your payment method, you will see the Submit by Mail option, as described above. Once done selecting, go to the next step.
- Repeat step 4 onwards for each tax return you want to file by mail.
- Print your tax return by following the instructions. If you have any outstanding TurboTax fees, you will be prompted to pay them before you can print them.
Also, Checkout How to Fix IRS Tax Return Rejection Code IND-674-01
For Window version
If you get TurboTax reject code IND-163 on the window version of the application then do the following:
- While your tax return is open in TurboTax, select the File tab and then Next.
- On the following screen, select E-file Your Federal Return for FREE and then select File by mail at the bottom.
- Continue through the screens until you reach the Print Tax Return for Mail option. Select Next.
- On the following screen, select Print Return to Mail and then select Preview Print Copy in the pop-up window.
- After you have opened the preview, click the printer icon at the top of the preview (or choose Print from the File menu)
- When you are finished, select Continue in TurboTax and follow all further instructions on the screen.
On the first page of the printout, you will find the instructions for filing the tax return by mail. There you will find the mailing address to which you must send your tax return, as well as all the documents you must include with your tax return.
The reject code IND-163 indicates that you can file your returns electronically as the PIN does not match. In this case, you have to submit your returns by mail. You can do so by simply following the steps if you are using TurboTax to file your returns.
Frequently Asked Questions
IND 163 reject code is where the self-select PIN does not match with IRS records.
If you only need the mailing address, see the instruction sheet included with your paper tax return. The address is included in the instructions. You can check the IRS official page.