IND-996 code appears if your tax papers were rejected because the Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP-PIN) you provided was not correct, or the dependent’s IP-PIN was invalid, it means that the IRS was unable to verify your identity or the identity of your dependent with information entered.
IND-181-01 is another denial code that you read about relating to an IP PIN error.
What is Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP-PIN)?
An IP-PIN is a six-digit number given by the IRS to help identity theft related to tax matters. It is to be entered in your tax documents for the IRS to accept it.
To resolve this issue relating to reject code IND-996, you should check that the IP-PIN you typed is accurate and corresponds with the IP-PIN that was allocated to you or your dependent by the IRS. If you cannot confirm it, you should contact the IRS for help.
It’s vital to confirm that you provide valid and full information on your tax documents to prevent penalties and consequences.
How do I Locate the 6-digit IP PIN for the Qualifying Dependent or Person?
To avoid errors relating to the IND-996 rejection code you must find the six-digit IP PIN for the qualifying dependent or person in question. You can do this by the following method.
- You can locate it by checking the CP01A form or letter they received for the same tax year. The earlier issued IP PIN will not function.
- In case the IP PIN is lost or cannot be remembered, you can retrieve one from the IRS website.
- If none of the steps above works then you can request to have it reissued. This process normally takes up to 21 days.
How to Fix Reject Code IND-996 TurboTax?
IND 996 reject code TurboTax can be solved seamlessly. Follow the methods listed hereunder after you have located the IP PIN
- Open the Application
- Enter your credentials to log in
- For mobile app users, you must use a browser to troubleshoot this issue.
- After that, choose any fix tabs
- Proceed to the next step, until you reach the welcome back screen.
- Here you will see Fix it Now
- Click on it.
- Follow the guidelines and enter information such as the IP PIN of the qualifying individual
IND-996 reject code is due to an invalid or incorrect IP-PIN, it’s important to verify the accuracy of the information you provided and ensure that the correct IP-PIN is entered for yourself or your dependent. You can use your e-file application to fix the issue as explained herein. If you still face issues then contacting the IRS for assistance may be necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is a number, usually consisting of six-digit given by the taxpayers by the IRS.
Your tax return may be rejected if the IP-PIN you entered is incorrect or invalid, meaning that the IRS could not verify your identity.
The IRS will notify you if you are required to enter an IP-PIN on your tax papers, typically if related to identity theft or last year’s IP PIN entered.
If you don’t have or can’t find your IP-PIN, you can use the IRS’s online IP-PIN retrieval tool or contact the IRS for assistance.
You can request to have your IP-PIN changed by contacting the IRS.
You will receive a new IP-PIN each tax year, so you cannot use the same IP-PIN for multiple tax years.
Yes, you can e-file your tax documents with an IP PIN if you are required to use one.