Examining the server network while accessing the company file is quite necessary. When not taken care of, it can generate issues in the software. Therefore, the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 can be experienced at this time. The software may also notify you of the 6189 problem via an error notification. Consequently, users may not be able to open the data file.
In such a situation, you need to repair the host network using the recommended tools as soon as the problem becomes visible. You may even aid the 6189/816 error code in QuickBooks Desktop. Make sure to thoroughly inspect any other causes as well so that you are able to remove the error code from its root.
- 1. Causes Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6189 816
- 2. How can I Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816?
- 2.1) Fix 1: Transferring the Company File to Another Folder
- 2.2) Fix 2: Restarting Each of the Computers and the Server
- 2.3) Fix 3: Using Quick Fix my Program Tool
- 2.4) Fix 4: Install & Run QuickBooks Refresher
- 2.5) Fix 5: Running QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 3. How to Remove the QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189 816?
1. Causes Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6189 816
While operating via multiple workstations, it is essential to have a check on the mode in which QuickBooks is being used. In case the software is in the single-user mode and two or more users try to access the same company file on it, it may stop working. In such a situation, you may have to face the QuickBooks error 6189 816.
You can see the development of the 6189 and 816 error code because of these causes too:
- The program files of the accounting software may have been affected by malware or virus.
- There may be an accessibility problem with the QuickBooks company data file on the host computer.
- Your data file may be corrupted. As a consequence of this, you may have to see an error warning: “Error 6189: QuickBooks has Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”.
- When the required Windows Drive for running the accounting program is damaged, the QuickBooks error 816 and 6189 may arise.
- The QuickBooks installation process may not have been completed properly.
- Your software may be out of date.
2. How can I Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816?
When your software has been affected by the QuickBooks error code 6189 816, begin fixing it by moving the data file to another newly created folder. Aside from this fix, rebooting all the workstations as well as the server may be beneficial. You can also use the Quick Fix my Program tool to automatically resolve the 6189 and 816 error codes. Running the QuickBooks Refresher tool may additionally be considered as an alternate option for troubleshooting the 6189 issue.
2.1) Fix 1: Transferring the Company File to Another Folder
You may sometimes find it difficult to access the company file on the host computer. This accessibility issue can make the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 appear. Hence, shifting the QuickBooks data file to some other folder can resolve the 6189 error. Understanding that the file was previously stored online or on a portable device, it needs to be transferred to a new folder. This folder should be in a local hard disk such as the C: Drive. You can locate the drive in the File Explorer section of your Windows system.
- “File Explorer” needs to be opened.
- From here, move to the “C: Drive” on Windows.
- Right-click anywhere in the white space.
- Choose “New”.
- Then press the “Folder” option.
- Now, visit the location of the company file.
- Keep holding the “Ctrl” button while choosing the company file with the “.qbw” extension.
- Move further to solving the QuickBooks error code 6189 816 by right-clicking on the file.
- Next, pick the “Copy” option.
- After this, the “Ctrl” tab is to be released.
- Navigate to the new folder that was created.
- Here, you need to right-click and opt for “Paste”.
After pasting the data file into the new folder, you can move back to the accounting software. Then try to open the company file. With this, you will get to ensure whether the QuickBooks error 6189 816 has been cleared.
2.2) Fix 2: Restarting Each of the Computers and the Server
A glitch may start causing problems while opening the company file via the host system in the multi-user mode. Such a situation can produce the QuickBooks error 816/6189. Hence, when the same happens to you, reboot the entire system including the workstations and the host computer. This may be advantageous in removing the 6189 and 816 error codes.
- You first need to reboot the host computer.
- Then all the other workstations that are not a part of hosting the company file are required to be restarted.
- Once all the systems have been rebooted, launch “QuickBooks” on the server computer as well as on all the workstations. These stations should be the ones that have been connected with the host system via the network.
After restarting the systems, visit the company file as you may have gained back the access by now. In case the fix for the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 worked properly, please provide your confirmation.
2.3) Fix 3: Using Quick Fix my Program Tool
When accessing your company file becomes difficult, you may be experiencing the error 6189 and 816 in QuickBooks. Supposing that you do not know what is causing the problem, you can use the Quick Fix my Program tool. The 6189 issue will be investigated by running it. The tool will automatically begin its repair after detecting the error’s cause. This tool can be found in the QuickBooks Tool Hub application.
- You are required to install “QuickBooks Tool Hub” on your computer.
- Open it and move to the “Program Problems” section.
- Here, you need to press the “Quick Fix my Program” button so that the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 is dismissed.
- The tool may require some time to finish resolving the error. After the process is over, head to using “QuickBooks”.
Retry accessing the company data file. In addition, it is recommended that you run the Quick Fix my Program as a primary fix if you encounter the QuickBooks error 6189 816 again in the future.
2.4) Fix 4: Install & Run QuickBooks Refresher
A problem in any of the system applications running in the background may occasionally cause the QuickBooks errors 6189 and 816. To tackle the 6189 issue, you may install the QuickBooks Refresher Tool. This tool aids in the resolution of the problems that can cause your system to slow down or close all of your programs without notifying you. Therefore, running it can clear your troubles.
- Download the “QuickBooks Refresher” tool from the internet.
- Then save the downloaded file at a location where it can be accessed easily. By doing so you can remove the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816.
- Should the error be present even now, then make sure that none of the tasks have been running on the software. In case you find some, close them immediately.
- Shut the accounting program as well.
- For running the tool, the “QBRefresher.exe” file has to be clicked two times.
- The tool may take up to 30 seconds to run. While this happens, ensure that the instructions coming up on the window are followed.
After the fix has been finished, move back to the QuickBooks software. Verify the fix by opening the data file. Make sure to verify the applications that have been running in the background so that you do not have to stumble upon the QuickBooks error 816 and 6189 again.
2.5) Fix 5: Running QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to share the company file across your network with the other systems. It also facilitates monitoring the multi-user network. When your network becomes unstable, it may not let you operate the company data and show the QuickBooks error 6189 816. Thus, to repair the network and clear the 6189/816 error code, attempt running the QuickBooks Database Server Manager app properly.
- The “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” needs to be downloaded and installed on the Windows system.
- Once done, tap on the “Start” button.
- Then click on “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- In case the application is not updated to its latest version, do the needful.
- Now, the server and each of the workstations are to be restarted.
- After this, navigate to the “QuickBooks” program. The QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 would have been fixed by now.
3. How to Remove the QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189 816?
When you operate on an outdated accounting program, there may come a time when it can stop performing. When this leads to the QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816, you are required to immediately update the software to the current release so that the 6189 816 issues are solved. Hence, while processing the fix, move through the Help option for a successful result.
- Visit the “QuickBooks Desktop” program.
- Select “Help” from the menu.
- Then tap on “Update QuickBooks”.
- Next, press the “Update Now” button.
- Opt for the updates that need to be downloaded and pick “Get Updates”.
Tip: In case you know what changes have been made in the newer version, you can see them by moving to the column of “Updates”. Here, you are required to select the link available for “Maintenance Releases”. After selecting it, you can have a look at the improvements/modifications that have been done.
- Now, you need to shut the accounting software to further fix the error 6189 816.
- Restart the program.
- You may find prompts appearing on the window asking for your permission to install the updates.
- When it comes up, click on either “Yes” or “Install Now” to begin the procedure.
- Once the new version gets installed, reboot your “Windows” system.
By performing the steps accurately, the QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816 may have been dissolved. To avoid facing the same in the future, ensure that you update the accounting software as soon as the latest release becomes available.
To Sum Up
Your software may get affected by a virus in case any of the other applications contain it. This can prevent your company file from being accessed, resulting in the QuickBooks errors 6189 and 816. Apart from this reason, you may come across the 6189/816 error because of several other causes as well. Hence, by correctly identifying the main source of the error, a fix can be applied with ease. Besides this, it is also important to scan your software and the system from time to time to lessen the probability of this error.