There may be numerous circumstances when a QB user may want to open a company file urgently due to some issues in it or for other work-related purposes. He/she may find it hectic to move through various folders on the system and then finally reach the .QBW file. Therefore, the user can relocate it to some other address on the computer that can be conveniently located and, hence, save your time. Thus, a user should thoroughly be aware of how to change the QuickBooks file location. For changing the location, you may access Windows C:\ drive. Here, all the files may be stored and can be shifted by performing simple procedures. Otherwise, you can move it within the Intuit software by using the Ctrl and 1 keys. The QBDT company or data file can be transferred to a different location as well through the Copy and Paste method.
How can I Change QuickBooks Company File Location?
The QB company file’s location can be changed or moved if you want to shift it to some other place where it can be easily accessible. The changes can be carried forward via the C:\ drive in the computer. Users can also change the location within the accounting software. Moreover, the path directory can be edited for moving the file elsewhere on the system.
Go through the given methods to know how to move QuickBooks file location.
Method 1: Through C:\ Drive
Moving through the C:\ drive on your Windows computer, you can find options for changing the location of the company file. The Start tab is to be pressed. Then you need to type Control Panel in the search area. Opt for it once the panel appears on the screen. Push the Appearance and Personalisation button. After that, select Folder Options.
The remaining steps will make you understand the process for how to change QuickBooks file location:
- Go to “Start”.
- In the box for searching, type “Control Panel”. Click on the button once you see its name.
- Choose the “Appearance and Personalisation” tab.
- Tap on “Folder Options”.
- Select the “View” button.
- Then hit “Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives”.
- If you want to have a look at the files that are hidden, opt for “Ok”.
- Again move to the “Start” tab.
- Click on “My Computer”.
- Press the “C:\ Drive”.
- Head to “Users”.
- Pick the “Public” option.
- Look for “Documents”.
- Visit the “Intuit” button.
- Here, the “Company Files” folder is to be chosen.
- Find and click on the file that has “.qbw” at the end of the extension.
- The “Directory Path’ is to be entered.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- The “Appearance and Personalisation” tab is to be selected one more time.
- Opt for “Folder options”.
- Choose “View” in this step.
- Go for “Do Not Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives”.
- Now, hit “Ok”.
After pressing the button, verify if the changes have been made. Then visit the new location to open your data/company file of QB.
Method 2: Changing through QuickBooks Folder
You may change the company file’s location in your accounting software’s folder on a Windows PC. For doing so, you need to tap on the Start tab. Press the All Programs option. Then find and click on the QuickBooks folder. After the software is opened, opt for the company file. The Ctrl and 1 keys are to be tapped and held together to move the QuickBooks company file to a new location.
- Select “Start”.
- Tap on “All Programs”.
- Then press the folder of “QuickBooks”.
- On the QB start-up screen, choose the company file.
- Here, push and hold the “Ctrl” key and “1” key on the keyboard together.
- The “Product Information” window will open. Look at the “File Information”.
- The directory path of the file with the “.qbw” extension needs to be changed.
- After that, close the software.
With this, you will be able to move the QuickBooks file to the new location that will be a desired address on the computer.
Method 3: Editing the Default Location
To change the QuickBooks default company file location, editing of the path directory can be done. Press the Start Menu button and move to the Control Panel. Tap on Appearance and Personalization and hit the Folder Options tab. After that go to the View button and click on Advanced Settings. Now, opt for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.
- Run the “Start” option on your computer.
- View “Control Panel”.
- Push the “Appearance and Personalization” tab.
- Now, navigate to “Folder Options”.
- Press “View”.
- Go to “Advanced Settings”.
- Click on “Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives”.
- Tap on “Ok” for viewing the hidden files.
- Head to “Start”.
- In the field to search, fill up “.qbw”.
- Among the results, choose the file with this extension.
- You will be provided a tab for editing the directory path of the file you have opted for. So, make the changes according to your preference.
- Head to “Control Panel”.
- Pick “Appearance and Personalization”.
- Through “View”, open up the “Advanced Settings”.
- Next, remove the mark from “Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives”.
- Select the “Ok” option.
You need to confirm that the location of the company file has shifted. Post confirming, you can open your QuickBooks file very easily from the new location.
Method 4: By Copying and Pasting it to Another Location
If you want to change the location of the QuickBooks company file, then you can simply copy and paste it to a folder based on your requirements. Go to the address of the data file and right-click on it. Press the Copy option. Next, you need to proceed to the location where you want to shift it. Right-click here and select Paste.
- Locate your “QB Company File”. Right-click on it after you find it.
- Tap on “Copy”.
- After that, go to your desired location in the system. Paste it there.
- Open “QuickBooks”.
- Choose the “Open or Restore an Existing Company” option.
- Press “Open a Company File”.
- Now, push the “Next” tab.
- Look for your file in the window that is appearing.
Important: Make sure that the selected file is carrying a green icon. Also, see to it that the file that has the .qbw extension in the end.
- The file that you have opted for is to be highlighted.
- Select the “Open” option.
While trying to figure out how to change your QuickBooks file location, confirming the success of the process is also essential. If the file gets opened, then it can be confirmed that the location has been successfully moved.
How to Move QuickBooks Desktop File to New Location?
Due to certain instances, users may want to relocate the QBDT company file. This can be processed by transferring it from one place to another through the Copy and Paste buttons. Move to the file’s location. You need to right-click on that. Then hit the Copy button to change the QuickBooks Desktop file location. Go to the desktop or the folder’s screen where you want to shift it. Here, you are required to right-click again to move the file.
- Head to the current location of the company file of QuickBooks Desktop. Then right-click on it.
- Click on the “Copy” option.
- Move to any other folder or to the “Desktop” and right-click again.
- Choose “Paste”.
- The file will be shifted to another location.
- Now, launch the accounting software.
- Select “Open or Restore an Existing Company”.
- Press the “Open a Company File” option.
- In this step, hit “Next”.
- On this page, find the location of the file where you have pasted it.
- After you find that, the file is to be highlighted.
- Further, push the “Open” tab.
In the End
Users may try to move the QuickBooks file to a new location to make the search process for it easier. The blog highlighted several methods that can be utilized for transferring the file of the accounting software. Now, you may have also become familiar with the steps used for shifting the QBDT file. You may try out the processes and move the other data files too in less time.