The QuickBooks error 12029 is a very common bug that can come up while updating the payroll feature. When the Windows Firewall identifies a fault with the payroll update file, this error occurs. It can then restrict the software from downloading the updates, owing to security concerns. It is because of the occurrence of the 12029 error code that the software may suddenly terminate the update process. Along with this, it may even lag and fail to respond to the user input. Thus, deleting the QuickBooks program from the blocked application list present in the Windows Firewall can be effective. But depending on why the payroll update error occurs, there can be more ways to deal with it.
- 1. Factors Generating QuickBooks Error Code 12029
- 2. Fixing the QuickBooks Error 12029
- 2.1) Fix 1: Removing QuickBooks from Windows Firewall Settings
- 2.2) Fix 2: Use Safe Mode to Run Windows
- 2.3) Fix 3: Upgrade the Settings of Internet Connection
- 3. Troubleshooting Error 12029 in QuickBooks Desktop
- FAQs – QuickBooks Error 12029
1. Factors Generating QuickBooks Error Code 12029
While updating the payroll feature of QuickBooks, it is crucial to have a strong data connection. Certain situations can arise such as a power outage or bad weather conditions due to which your internet connectivity may be lost. As you try updating the payroll then, the process may not be administered. Hence, the software may undergo the error 12029 QuickBooks payroll update issue.
You can scroll further to check the other factors generating the 12029 error code:
- At the time of updating the payroll, the process may get a timeout.
- The Windows Firewall may have blocked the QuickBooks program.
- Thirdly, the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate that is being used by the software may have expired or turned invalid.
- Any antivirus program installed on your system may be disrupting the payroll update. Then because of this, the error 12029 can be generated.
- You may not have established Internet Explorer as your default browser.
2. Fixing the QuickBooks Error 12029
Users seeking to resolve the error 12029 can do so by deleting the accounting software from the settings of the Firewall. You can also try running the Windows computer in Safe Mode. When opted to use this mode, the QuickBooks error code 12029 can be quickly fixed. As the next option, carrying out some updates for your Internet Connection settings can become effective in troubleshooting the code.
2.1) Fix 1: Removing QuickBooks from Windows Firewall Settings
Windows Firewall may interfere with the process of downloading payroll updates for the QuickBooks program. This can happen in case the Firewall detects a security issue in the update file. To fix the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029 when this is the cause, delete the accounting software from the Windows Firewall settings. This will eventually pause the updates as well.
- In the search panel given beside the “Start” tab, you need to enter “Firewall”.
- When the program list appears, opt for “Windows Firewall”.
- Move to the section named “Advanced Settings”.
- Here, you are required to click on “Inbound Rules”.
- Tap on the “New Rule” feature.
- On the “New Inbound Rule Wizard” window, go to “Program”.
- Then hit “Next”.
- You will have to pick the option of “This Program Path”.
- Select the “Browse” tab given and choose the file location of “QuickBooks”.
- Head to “Next”.
- “Allow the Connection” needs to be selected so that you can move ahead in resolving the error 12029 QuickBooks Payroll update issue.
- Proceed to clicking “Next” then.
- You have to put a tick beside each of the checkboxes followed by “Next”.
- Provide a name to the rule and select “Next”.
- For setting the “Outbound Rules”, you will have to re-perform the Steps from 4-14. Ensure that you click the “Outbound Rules” option this time below the “Advanced Settings” tab.
The Program will now be erased from the settings of the Windows Firewall. After following the above-given procedure correctly, you can find the QuickBooks error code 12029 being dismissed.
2.2) Fix 2: Use Safe Mode to Run Windows
Safe Mode lets you run your Windows PC in a simple state. It utilizes fewer files as compared to the normal mode. This mode can ensure fewer interruptions in programs like QuickBooks. For this reason, you should run this mode to repair the error 12029 QuickBooks payroll update issue.
- You need to press the “Windows” tab and the “I” tab simultaneously.
- Move to “Update & Security” in this step.
- Then hit the “Recovery” option.
- Navigate to the “Advanced Startup” tab.
- Here, you are required to choose the “Restart Now” feature.
- When you restart the computer, you will find certain options coming up.
- To get rid of the 12029 QuickBooks error, opt for “Troubleshoot”.
- Now, the “Advanced Options” tab is to be tapped.
- Next, click on “Startup Settings”.
- Reboot the PC once again.
- This time when the system restarts, two options will be provided.
- The first one will be to “Press 4” if you want the PC to start in “Safe mode”.
- Secondly, you can also pick “Press 5” for booting the computer in “Safe Mode with Internet Access”.
- The appropriate option has to be chosen.
After this is over, your computer will start running in safe mode. You can move back to the QuickBooks program and begin updating the Payroll. When everything goes well, give your approval to the fix for the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029.
2.3) Fix 3: Upgrade the Settings of Internet Connection
When internet connectivity is configured incorrectly, the accounting application is unable to sync with the server through which updates are executed. Due to this, you won’t be able to complete the updates. As an outcome of this, the QuickBooks update error 12029 can be seen. The 12029 error can be dissolved by modifying the Internet Connection Settings. You can navigate to the Internet Explorer and locate the Internet Options tab where you can apply the alterations.
- Go to “Internet Explorer”.
- Then head to the “Tools” feature located below the “Internet Options” button.
- Next, you will have to move to “General”.
- Among the options available in the list, opt for “Delete”.
- Then place a mark beside the box of “Temporary Internet Files” and “Cookies”.
- Choose the “Delete” tab once more.
- Now, you need to navigate toward the “Connection” section.
- In this step, pick the “LAN Settings” button.
- Check whether the checkbox of “Automatically Detect Settings” has been marked or not. In case it is not, tick it now.
Note: Ensure that the field of “Proxy Server” remains unchecked.
- Press “Ok” to remove the QuickBooks payroll update error.
- Visit the “Advanced” panel.
- Among the checkboxes provided, you need to tick mark the following ones:
- “Use SSL 2.0”
- “Use SSL 3.0”
- “Use TLS 1.2”
- After this, you need to remove the checkmark from the boxes “Use TLS 1.0” and “Use TLS 1.1”.
- Hit “Apply” and then click on the “Ok” tab. Now, you can proceed to the accounting software as the QuickBooks error 12029 would have been solved.
3. Troubleshooting Error 12029 in QuickBooks Desktop
The 12029 error in QuickBooks Desktop can be easily cleared by updating or installing the Security Certificate of the accounting software. Furthermore, having a check over the internet connection can also be beneficial. While going through its settings, you can make some changes that can assist in getting rid of the error 12029 in QuickBooks Desktop.
3.1) Fix 1: Update/Install Security Certificate
The software’s Security Certificate validates that the program is authentic. The updates can only be downloaded through the server in case the certificate is valid. When this accounting program’s certificate expires or you do not have it, you may get the 12029 issues in QuickBooks Desktop. Consequently, the software may stop operating and also cease the payroll updates. So, to dismiss this issue, you will have to update or install the Security Certificate.
- The icon of “QuickBooks Desktop” has to be right-tapped.
- Here, select the “Properties” option.
- Then under “Shortcut”, you need to tap on the “Open File Location” button.
- Further, choose “Ok”.
- The “.exe” file of “QuickBooks” is required to be right-clicked.
- Proceed to the “Properties” tab” then.
- You will have to opt for “QuickBooks” from the list provided below the panel of “Digital Signatures”.
- After doing so, you can head forward to eliminate the error 12029 in QuickBooks Desktop by clicking on the “Details” button.
- Opt for “View Certificate”.
- Now, head to the “General” option and pick “Install Certificate”.
- Then from the “Certificate Import Wizard”, the “Current User” field is to be set to “Store Location”.
- “Next” has to be clicked in this step.
- Once done, move to the “Next and Finish” button.
- When the import is successful, hit “Yes” on its confirmation window to fully fix the 12029 error in QuickBooks Desktop.
3.2) Fix 2: Examining the Internet Connection
While processing payroll updates in the accounting program, the internet connection must remain stable. When it starts becoming unstable, the updates cannot be completed. This problem may eventually lead to the 12029 error QuickBooks Desktop. Therefore, performing an inspection on the internet connection can contribute to fixing it.
- Ensure that the date and time of the computer have been accurately set.
- Visit “Internet Explorer”.
- Then opt for the “Tools” tab.
- Here, you need to find and click on “Internet Options”.
- Move to the “Advanced” section and select the “Reset/Restore Defaults” button.
- Press the “Apply” button.
- Lastly, hit “Ok”.
With this, the error 12029 QuickBooks Desktop will get cleared. You can carry out the updates in the software now. Also, take care that the internet connection is strong before beginning to update the payroll. This can help you in preventing the payroll error.
The QuickBooks error 12029 can arise when the software is unable to complete the payroll update procedure. This problem can also be produced because of multiple factors affecting it. Aside from knowing how the bug is caused, you should also understand how it is to be fixed. Considering the same, several measures were indicated here. They should be of help in this regard.
FAQs – QuickBooks Error 12029
The QuickBooks error 12029 means that there is some issue while you update the payroll feature. Sometimes, this may be seen due to a server or connection problem, hence, indicating that it can be a network time-out issue as well.
The 12029 error can be seen in the QuickBooks program when the network connection is poor. Due to unstable data connectivity, the software may not be able to complete the payroll updates, resulting in the 12029 error code.
The symptoms of the 12029 QuickBooks error can be observed when the software closes down between the update of payroll. The system may also not provide a response to the commands given by you.
You can fix the QuickBooks 12029 error by erasing the software from the Windows Firewall settings. The removal procedure can be started through the “Advanced Settings” section. After you complete the procedure and QuickBooks is removed from the Firewall, 12029 should not be seen.
On Windows, the error 12029 can occur in case the Internet Explorer has not been set as the default browser. Also, the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate that the software uses may be expired. As a result, you can come across the 12029 error in QuickBooks.
You can quickly solve the 12029 error code in the QuickBooks software. This can be done by updating the internet connection settings. To begin with, you will have to launch the homepage of Internet Explorer. Before modifying/updating, you can also have a proper check of the settings of the internet connection.
QuickBooks can display an error notification on its screen to indicate to you the 12029 error’s occurrence. This message can contain the details of the issue. The error 12029 in QuickBooks may also be self-detected in case the software pauses quite often while upgrading the payroll.
To delete the 12029 error, QuickBooks users can run the Windows PC using the Safe Mode. Running in this mode would ensure that the applications that are having an issue while being run become error-free. Along with this, updating the Security Certificate of QuickBooks can also let you clear the 12029 error code.
One factor responsible for the QuickBooks error code 12029 is an expired data plan due to which the network may not connect with the server. Aside from this, your internet settings may also not have been modified in the right way. Due to this factor too, the error 12029 can arise and pause the payroll updates.