IND 046 01 is a tax return reject code displayed by the IRS. This reject code deals with the non-addition of Form 8862 to claim the earned income tax credit for the previous year.
If you wish to claim the earned income, you must fulfill certain criteria. This may require you to complete the above-mentioned form to ensure that you are eligible to claim the earned income in the current year. A similar error to the above can also be reflected as F1040-164-01.
What is Form 8862 for Reject Code IND 046 01?
When filing returns via application, you may encounter the reject code IND 046 01. This error requires you to fill in form 8862, required by the IRS to claim earned income that you were denied in the previous year due to invalid information. This can either be related to income or filing status.
To rectify the reject code, you must complete the above form number and include it with your returns for each year you want to claim EITC or Earned Income Tax Credit.
Also, learn about IRS Rejection Code IND 515: Causes & Solution to Fix
What are the Steps to Resolve IND 046 01 Issue when E-filing Returns?
If you are e-filing your returns, you will notice that form 8862 will be required to resolve code IND 046 01 relating to EITC. You can follow the guidelines to assist you in submitting the same electronically.
Many e-filing will give you the link to download form 8862. However, if they don’t, you can download it directly from the IRS website under the form and instructions tab, then proceed with the following:
- Complete the form with appropriate information relating to income and filing status. Ensure to mention the reason why you were not allowed to claim EITC
- Once done, save the completed form on your system.
- Log in to your e-filing program, such as TurboTax.
- Go to the reject tax return.
- If the application gives instructions, follow them to correct the reject code IND 046 01
- Go to the section to attach documents to your tax returns.
- Find the link to attach form 8862
- Click Upload
- Browse to the location where you saved the completed form
- After reviewing it, click submit.
- A confirmation will be shown whether your returns have been accepted.
If you still get the issue code IND-046-01, contact the revenue department or customer support team of the e-filing software.
Receiving the reject code IND 046 01 can be solved easily if all procedure is followed accurately. This will enable you to claim your EITC that you could not. However, you must ensure that form 8862 is correctly filled with all details required by the authorities to avoid delays. You can always seek professional help if you cannot do it alone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Both errors are related to form 8862 of the IRS. You need to complete it appropriately to claim EITC.
If you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit but do not file Form 8862, your claim for the credit will be rejected.
Yes, you can file Form 8862 electronically.
Follow the instructions provided in the rejection notice to add Form 8862 and resubmit it to the IRS.