The reason for IND-510-02 rejects code comes up when filing taxes is that the spouse SSN used is similar to the primary or the head SSN and is mentioned on another return filed in the current year.
If someone else has claimed your spouse as a dependent on their tax return, you may have to prove that your spouse isn’t a dependent to resolve the reject code IND-510-02. If you aren’t sure what proof you need, the representative at IRS can advise you on what documents you should submit to support your claim.
IND-511-01 can be another reject code that you might receive if the spouse SSN used is the same as the primary one.
How to Solve Reject Code IND-510-02 in TurboTax Software?
If you use TurboTax to file your tax return and receive an error message IND-510-02 stating that the spouse’s SSN cannot match the key SSN on another tax return, you can use the methods to resolve the issue:
- In TurboTax. Go to the Personal Info button
- Click on the My Info button and verify that your personal information is correct, including your name, SSN, and date of birth.
- Click on the Spouse button and verify that your spouse’s personal information is correct, including their name, SSN, and date of birth.
- If the information is correct, check to make sure that no one else has claimed your spouse as a dependent on their tax return.
- If someone else has claimed your spouse as a dependent, you will need to file a paper return and include a statement explaining why you are claiming your spouse as a dependent.
- If the information is incorrect, make the necessary corrections and re-file your tax return.
- If you continue to have problems or need further assistance, you can contact TurboTax customer support for help.
What to do if your SSN is correct But You Still Receive IRS Reject Code IND-510-02?
If you have verified that the SSN is correct for both you and your spouse, and you still receive an error message IND-510-02, it is possible that someone else incorrectly reported your spouse as a dependent on their tax return.
In this case, you may need to contact IRS directly to determine if this is the case and how to proceed. It is also possible that there is an error in the system IRS. In this case, the IRS employee may be able to help you solve the problem. He may need additional information from you to investigate and fix the problem.
Regardless of the cause of the error, it is important to correct the problem with reject code IND-510-02 for the smooth processing of tax papers.
Receiving the IND-510-02 rejection code when filing taxes can be a common error caused by incorrect Social Security Number (SSN) usage. To prevent this rejection, it’s essential to ensure the accurate SSN is used for each individual listed on the tax return and that no one has already filed with the same SSN.
Frequently Asked Questions
Reject Code IND-510-02 means that someone has already claimed your spouse as a dependent on their tax return, or there is an error in the IRS system.
Check the information entered into your tax return against your spouse’s Social Security card. If the number is correct, there may be an error in the IRS system.
No, you must resolve this issue before your tax return can be processed and accepted by the IRS.
You will need to file a paper return and include a statement explaining why you are claiming your spouse as a dependent.
It depends on the circumstances. If your spouse earns less than the threshold amount, you may be able to claim them as a dependent.
Make sure that no one else claims your spouse as a dependent on their tax return.
No, you should not face any penalties if fixed on time.
Seek the help of a tax consultant who can help you navigate the process and ensure that your tax return is filed correctly.