Users can come across the QuickBooks error 15240 either while updating the accounting software or its payroll feature. When this situation exists, the update procedure may be instantly ceased. In addition, as an indication of the problem, the system may begin running at a slow pace. The #15240 error can appear due to factors like the internet connection not being stable enough to complete the updates. To make the issue more comprehensive, QuickBooks may also pop up a notice on the window describing the error code. As per the cause behind the problem, these error notifications may change. Therefore, you need to gather proper knowledge about the factors creating the 15240 issue. Only then will you be able to mend it.
- 1. Factors that Cause QuickBooks Error 15240
- 2. Measures to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15240
- 2.1) Fix 1: Examine the Settings of Date & Time
- 2.2) Fix 2: Modify the Security Settings of Internet Explorer
- 2.3) Fix 3: Run the Program as an Admin
- 3. Rectifying the Error 15240 in QuickBooks Desktop
- 3.1) Fix 1: Give Windows Permission to QuickBooks Desktop Folders
- 3.2) Fix 2: Reinstall the Software through Clean Install Tool
- Common FAQs of QuickBooks Error 15240
1. Factors that Cause QuickBooks Error 15240
You always need to make sure that the accounting software’s installation file has been downloaded through a trusted website. Provided that you accidentally download a faulty or damaged installation file and then use it to install QuickBooks, the process will be fraught with issues like error #1524.
You may scroll down below to know more about the causes generating the QuickBooks error #15240:
- The software may have been running using the credentials of an administrator.
- There can be problems in the Windows Registry.
- You may not have completely installed the accounting program.
- The Date and Time may not be accurate.
- When the Security Settings of Internet Explorer are not set properly, the QuickBooks error 15240 can be seen.
- Windows Firewall or some other antivirus application installed on the PC may be restricting the software from completing the update.
- Your QuickBooks program may have become out of date.
- Virus/malware may have affected the accounting software along with the system.
- Data connectivity may not be strong enough for updating the payroll.
2. Measures to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15240
At times, an error message stating: “Error 15240: The Payroll Update Did Not Complete Successfully.” may arise on the QuickBooks window. However, you can solve it by verifying the settings of time and date. In case changes are required, you need to execute them at the same time. You can also customize the security settings of Internet Explorer to fix the error 15240 updating QuickBooks. Additionally, running the accounting program as an admin can be helpful.
2.1) Fix 1: Examine the Settings of Date & Time
The date and time of the system play an important role in the occurrence of QuickBooks issues such as 15240. When not set correctly, they may obstruct the update procedure. When the error 15240 QuickBooks update occurs, the first thing that should be done is to check the date and time through Windows settings. You can further edit them and set the correct one in the Date and Time section of the Control Panel.
- Visit the box of “Run” by holding the “Windows” and “R” tabs together.
- When it comes up, “Control Panel” has to be typed in the blank field provided.
- Then tap on “Ok”.
- After the window of “Control Panel” appears, find and click on the “Clock and Region” button.
- Further, tap on “Date and Time”.
- Next, you will have to select the “Change Date and Time” option for clearing the QuickBooks error 15240.
- Verify the time displayed and the date mentioned.
- Make changes if needed and press “Ok”.
After both time and date have been set accurately, the QuickBooks software can be reopened. You can then begin updating the payroll feature or the program once again. When everything goes well, it can be confirmed that the QuickBooks update error code has disappeared.
2.2) Fix 2: Modify the Security Settings of Internet Explorer
The Security Settings present in IE or Internet Explorer assist in protecting your Windows computer from harmful websites. In case you see the QuickBooks error 15240 being generated, it is apt to customize these settings. To do so, you have to open the page of this web browser and then select the Tools button. By tapping here, you will be navigated to another window where the Advanced section has to be chosen.
- Move to “Internet Explorer”.
- Tap on the “Tools” tab.
- Then head toward the “Advanced” feature.
- Next, you need to visit the section named “Security”.
- The following options have to be tick marked after this:
- “Use SSL 2.0”
- “Use SSL 3.0”
- In this step, press the “Apply” button.
- Lastly, select “Ok”.
2.3) Fix 3: Run the Program as an Admin
Running the accounting software using admin rights can help in overcoming most of the errors found. If not run, then activities such as updating the program or payroll may halt suddenly. This solution can also be effective when it comes to deleting the QuickBooks update error 15240. This will enable the required rights which will ultimately ensure that the software smoothly operates.
Note: Make sure that you update the QuickBooks program first before beginning the fix. This may cause the error to appear but the rights can help you resolve it.
- Move to your Desktop screen and find the icon of “QuickBooks”.
- Then right-tap on the sign.
- Click on the “Run as Administrator” button.
- For allowing the “User Permissions”, press “Yes”.
The program will then be run through the administrative rights. With this, the 15240 error code should get cleared. You can resume updating the payroll to verify whether the fix has worked.
3. Rectifying the Error 15240 in QuickBooks Desktop
The QuickBooks Desktop error 15240 can be cleared by providing authorization to the folders of the accounting program. Once the permission is given, the update procedure may start working, resulting in the removal of the 15240 issues. Another way that can also be tried while fixing the error code is by using the QuickBooks Clean Installation tool. Using this, you will have to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software.
3.1) Fix 1: Give Windows Permission to QuickBooks Desktop Folders
When undergoing the QuickBooks Desktop 15240 error, granting Windows acceptance to the accounting software’s folders can move you out of it. By providing the permission, the admin rights will be given to the program. This will automatically eliminate the disruptions caused during the update procedure. While performing the fix for error 15240 QuickBooks Desktop issue, you will have to move via the Windows File Manager.
Note: Ensure that you create a backup of the QuickBooks Desktop company file before heading towards the fix. Your data will be kept safe then.
- Close the “QuickBooks Desktop” program.
- Next, you need to navigate to the “Windows File Manager”.
- Then move ahead to the folder of “C:\Program Files\”.
- The folder called “Intuit” has to be right-clicked.
- Choose the “Properties” option.
- After this, you will have to proceed to “Advanced”.
- Here, you need to verify whether “User” has been set to “Owner”.
When you do not find “Owner” over here, continue with the following procedure so that the QuickBooks Desktop error code 15240 gets eliminated:
- Head to the section called “Advanced Security Settings”.
- In the upcoming step, you are required to tap on the “Change” tab. This is given next to “Owner”.
- Visit “Enter the Object Name to Select”.
- Here, the names of “Users” are to be typed.
- Tap on “Check Names” and then hit “Ok”.
- Now, place a tick beside the “Replace Owner on subcontainers and Objects”.
- Choose the “Apply” tab.
- Simply click “Ok” to end the process.
3.2) Fix 2: Reinstall the Software through Clean Install Tool
The Clean Install Tool lets you remove the accounting program fully and then fix the problems that have occurred within that. This utility can show great results when trying to clear the QuickBooks Desktop error 15240. You can locate it in the app named QuickBooks Tool Hub. After the tool completes the repair procedure and uninstalls the software, you need to reinstall the program.
- Open the “Run” screen and mention “appwiz.cpl”.
- Then choose “Ok”.
- Below the “Programs and Features” panel, you need to opt for “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Further, hit the “Uninstall” option.
- Press “Yes” followed by “Next”.
- Click on the “Remove” button in this step.
- Give some time so that the uninstallation is done.
- Once the software gets uninstalled, the application named “QuickBooks Tool Hub” has to be downloaded and then installed.
- After it has been installed, double tap on the app’s sign.
- Move ahead to delete the error 15240 in QuickBooks Desktop by pressing “Yes”.
- Proceed to the “Installation Issue” tab.
- Tap on the “Clean Install Tool” option.
- The below-mentioned items have to be selected:
- “QuickBooks Version”
- “Product Version”
- Now, the “Continue” tab has to be pressed.
- When your screen prompts a notice stating: “Please Install the Copy of QuickBooks to the Default Location of the Computer”, pick “Ok”.
- The tool will then carry out the repair after which you can reinstall the “QuickBooks Desktop” software.
With this, you should find the QuickBooks Desktop error code 15240 to have resolved. The update procedure can be resumed now. The Clean Install tool can be utilized again in the future in case you receive indications about the occurrence of the same error code.
On the Whole
The QuickBooks error 15240 can be commonly observed in the accounting program while the software and payroll updates are being processed. There are some possibilities to prevent this issue by keeping the system settings accurate. Besides, you should indeed ensure that the factors that trigger the 15240 problems have been carefully examined. This would subsequently facilitate resolving the issue in less time.
Common FAQs of QuickBooks Error 15240
The QuickBooks error 15240 is an update error. This issue signifies that the payroll or software updates are not being able to complete. As a result, the system may hang and you may get stuck in between the process.
Fixing the 15240 error code in QuickBooks Desktop can become easier when made use of the Clean Install Tool. It is present in QuickBooks Tool Hub. Running the tool will remove the accounting program and repair the issues within it. Afterward, you can reinstall the software to completely get rid of the 15240 issue.
When the QuickBooks update error 15240 arises, different error messages can be seen. One of the notifications that can appear may read “Error 15240: The Payroll Update did not Complete Successfully.” Other than this, warnings such as: “Internet Connection Error: Unknown Error” may be displayed as well.
The error 15240 can occur in QuickBooks in case the internet connectivity is poor. Due to this, the software may not be able to complete the updates. A damaged installation file can further be responsible for the development of the 15240 issue.
To fix the 15240 error in the accounting software, you need to run the program as an administrator. To execute the repair, the icon of QuickBooks has to be right-tapped. Following this, the “Run as Administrator” button is required to be picked for fixing the QuickBooks error 15240.
One of the most common indications at the time of the 15240 error code that QuickBooks can show is the pausing of the updates. You can also see the software freezing, as well as becoming unresponsive, during the occurrence of the 15240 error.
There can be multiple causes responsible for QuickBooks error #15240. First, the Windows Firewall may have obstructed the accounting software from completing the updates on the basis of security. Secondly, Windows Registry may be undergoing some issues, causing the 15240 error in QuickBooks.
While experiencing the update error 15240 in QuickBooks, having a proper check on the date and time settings of your Windows PC can help. When you find them to be incorrect, modify them by heading to the “Control Panel” on Windows. After reaching here, the “Date and Time” option has to be opted for to fix the 15240 issue.
Critical fixes in the accounting program depict the issues that are cleared by Intuit at the time of updating the software. However, QuickBooks critical fixes error 15240 can indicate that the bug found in the software cannot be repaired. Unless the 15240 code is removed, these fixes might not be received since the update may not be downloaded.