It is critical to maintain the payroll and keep it up to date for the accounting program to work effectively. However, when upgrading this functionality, users may get the QuickBooks error 15270. This issue takes place when you have mentioned the wrong Payroll Service Key or the UIN (User Identification Number). When wrong data is submitted, the program may be unable to correctly complete the payroll update and can display an error notice.
This message may provide information about the 15270 error that has arisen. To resolve this issue and continue with the updates, you need to double-check the Service Key as well as the UIN and input the right details. While this may not completely make the error go away, this is the first step to rooting it out. Afterward, you can employ numerous fixes to troubleshoot the payroll update bug.
- 1. What Factors Cause the QuickBooks Error 15270?
- 2. Eliminating the QuickBooks Update Error 15270
- 2.1) Fix 1: Run Quick Fix my Program Tool
- 2.2) Fix 2: Checking Payroll Service Key
- 2.3) Fix 3: Switch off UAC (User Account Control)
- 2.4) Fix 4: Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser
- 2.5) Fix 5: Manually Update the Payroll
- 3. How to Solve 15270 Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
- FAQs – QuickBooks Error 15270
1. What Factors Cause the QuickBooks Error 15270?
A virus may enter the computer while downloading an installation file from an unknown website. It can then proceed to spread to other installed applications. It may also prevent you from using QuickBooks and halt specific processes such as payroll updates. These events may result in the QuickBooks payroll update error 15270. To make things clearer, a warning which mentions “[Error 15270]: The Payroll Update Did Not Complete Successfully. The Update is Missing a File” may also appear on the window.
There can be similar reasons as well causing the QuickBooks 15270 error code:
- The accounting software may not be correctly installed.
- Your Windows PC may not be supporting the payroll update version that is being installed.
- Payroll subscription may be expired. Or, it may have become inactive.
- Besides the update procedure, several other software processes may also be operating in the system’s background.
- The default browser may not have been set to Internet Explorer.
- Either the Service Key or the Employer Identification Number may not have been entered correctly, generating the error 15270 afterward.
- The data connection can be poor which can stop this update process of the payroll and develop the 15270 issues.
2. Eliminating the QuickBooks Update Error 15270
The update error 15270 can be resolved by performing a repair through the Quick Fix my Program tool. Another way of clearing the error code is by conducting a verification of the Payroll Service Key. Thirdly, turning off the User Account Control (UAC) is suggested when the error takes place on a Windows system. Users can even set Internet Explorer as their default web browser so that the error 15270 QuickBooks update problem disappears.
2.1) Fix 1: Run Quick Fix my Program Tool
When users are not able to update the payroll feature and the maintenance releases QuickBooks error 15270 may develop. Quick Fix my Program is a tool that, when launched, checks for errors that are interfering with QuickBooks operations. Once they are detected, it automatically starts repairing them.
Note: The following fix for the QuickBooks payroll update error will best work on a Windows system.
- Tap two times on the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” icon.
- Once the homepage appears, go to the “Program Problems” section.
- Then you will have to click on the “Quick Fix my Program” button.
- Wait for the time being as the tool will first detect the error 15270 and then begin repairing it.
- When the process is finished, you are required to restart the Windows computer.
Note: Open the accounting program now. In case you find the “QuickBooks Update Service” notification coming up on the window, tap on the “Install Now” button.
2.2) Fix 2: Checking Payroll Service Key
The Employee Identification Number (EIN) and the Payroll Service Key are issued when you subscribe to the payroll function. After you receive them, they will have to be entered while activating the payroll. So, you need to examine them and enter the details correctly when the QuickBooks payroll update error 15270 appears. By clicking on the Employees button, you can easily locate the My Payroll Service tab in QuickBooks to start the fix.
- Go to the “QuickBooks” software.
- Tap on the “Employees” options from the menu.
- Then click on “My Payroll Service”.
- You need to opt for the “Manage Service Key” tab.
- After this, below the window of “QB Service Key”, press the “Edit” option in case you see that the payroll service is listed.
- If you do not see any payroll service, then select “Add”.
- When the “Edit” option is pressed, mention the “Service Key”.
- To move ahead in deleting the QuickBooks error 15270, hit “Remove”.
- On the confirmation screen, press “Yes”.
- Once the “Service Key” gets removed, choose the “Add” button.
- Mention the “Service Key” as well as the “Employer Identification Number” now.
- Opt for “Next”.
- In Step 13, hit “Finish”.
- Ensure that the payroll subscription displays its status as “Active”.
- Pick “Ok” on the screen of “Payroll Update”.
The update process will then be completed within some time. When it is finished, you can ensure that the error 15270 has been eliminated.
2.3) Fix 3: Switch off UAC (User Account Control)
User Account Control (UAC) assists organizations in providing a better-managed PC by blocking malware from destroying it. The UAC may have been kept at high by default. Sometimes, turning this feature off lets you get rid of the QuickBooks error 15270. You will have to proceed to the Control Panel to disable it.
Note: Make sure to create a backup of the QuickBooks company file before heading toward the fix. It may create changes to or affect your data.
- Launch the box of “Run” by selecting the “Windows” and the “R” buttons.
- Here, you will have to enter “Control Panel”.
- Then press “Ok”.
- Click on the “Control Panel” logo.
- Tap on “User Accounts”.
- After this, you need to choose the “Change User Account Control Settings” option.
- You then have to shift the toggle bar to “Never Notify”.
- Lastly, the “Ok” tab is to be clicked.
2.4) Fix 4: Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser
As the QuickBooks software is supported by Internet Explorer, it is important that you set it to default. Hence, when dealing with the QuickBooks update error 15270, you need to examine whether the default web browser is Internet Explorer. In case it isn’t, you will have to set it. The Gear sign on the homepage of Internet Explorer can assist you in moving further. The Internet Options tab has to be chosen to continue with this measure.
- Move to “Internet Explorer”.
- Tap on the sign depicting “Gear”.
- Next, opt for the “Internet Options” tab.
- Then head to the “Programs” section.
- In this instruction, press “Make Default”.
- Now, proceed to the “Apply” option.
- Further, press “Ok”.
Tip: As browsers such as Microsoft Edge do not support the accounting software, make sure that the default browser is always Internet Explorer when running it.
2.5) Fix 5: Manually Update the Payroll
The error 15270 QuickBooks update issue can come up when some unidentified problems have occurred while processing the payroll upgrades. It can then prevent the procedure from finishing. Thus, users can begin upgrading the feature via the manual procedure to fix the 15270 error. Before that, you need to update the software first.
After QuickBooks updates have been downloaded, please go ahead with the following directions:
- In the software, go to the “Employees” feature on the homepage.
- Proceed to “Get Payroll Updates”.
- You will have to click on “Download Entire Payroll Update” now.
- Choose the “Update” sign to begin upgrading the payroll.
- Finally, select “Close” as the QuickBooks payroll update error 15270 should now have been removed.
3. How to Solve 15270 Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
To resolve the 15270 error QuickBooks Desktop, users need to visit the Reboot.bat file and run it. It is one of the batch files found in the folder of the accounting program. This file provides an allowance for re-registering certain important files such as OCX and DLL for the seamless operation of the QuickBooks Desktop. Since the operations will be in order, the error 15270 will be fixed.
- Shut down the accounting software.
- Then tap right on the icon of “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Choose the “Properties” option.
- Next, pick the “Open File Location” tab.
- After this, you need to head toward the folder of “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Here, you are required to look for the file “Reboot.bat”.
- Once you find it, right-click on that file.
- Select the “Run As Administrator” button now.
- Provide some time until each of the files of the software is registered to Windows.
- As the window of the “Disk Operating System (DOS)” comes up, you will have to reboot the system. The 15270 error will also get dismissed once it is restarted.
On the Whole
The QuickBooks error 15270 may occur as a result of network connectivity issues. Resulting from this, the payroll feature may not be entirely updated. Similar to this situation, certain other things may also interfere with the update process and prevent it from completing. You would know about these causes by this time. This will keep you informed about the error 15270. Thus, time action will then be possible in the future.
FAQs – QuickBooks Error 15270
The QuickBooks error 15270 means that some problem has come up while upgrading the payroll. This problem can arise in case the Windows computer gets affected by a virus and affects the software too. It can, thus, pause the updates being carried out in QuickBooks.
To get rid of the 15270 error code, QuickBooks users can turn off the User Account Control (UAC). You need to navigate to the UAC settings on Windows via the “Control Panel”. Once you reach there, the toggle bar has to be scrolled to “Never Notify”.
The QuickBooks payroll update error 15270 can be seen if a network issue occurs. The data connection may become slow or be lost which is why when you upgrade the feature, the error may emerge.
Errors like 15270 can have the tendency to occur again. This can happen when you are not mindful of the causes. When causes such as incorrect software installation, poor network connection, etc., exist, you can see this error taking place frequently.
You may be using a Reboot.bat file while running QuickBooks Desktop. Issues with the file can give rise to the 15270 error in this software. When you are able to repair those issues, the error will also be removed.
To use the Quick Fix my Program tool for fixing the 15270 error in QuickBooks, you will have to open the QuickBooks Tool Hub app. After this, you are required to navigate to the “Program Problems” tab. You will see the “Quick Fix my Program” option here which has to be clicked.
You can easily troubleshoot the QuickBooks 15270 error code by verifying the Payroll Service Key. After having a proper check, you can proceed to make certain edits to it. The modifications can be made by going to the “My Payroll Service” option via the menu of “Employees” in QuickBooks.
Payroll is an important feature in QuickBooks. Companies require it for their processes. Since the QuickBooks error 15270 can stop you from using this feature, it is important that you fix it. Otherwise, payroll may not efficiently work. Hence, your business processes may get affected.
Those experiencing the 15270 error in QuickBooks can see that the software starts freezing while processing the updates, especially for payroll. Despite giving multiple commands, the software may not respond to any of them when the 15270 issues have occurred.