At certain times, QuickBooks users may notice a problem with their company file. It may create difficulty while opening it. A dialogue box may appear on the screen informing you of the 6144 82 error that is causing the problem. Configuration issues between the company file and the software can be observed through this box. As one of the essential reasons generating the QuickBooks error 6144 82, the contents of the file may also be problematic.
It is important for you to know that the 6144/82 error can affect QuickBooks Desktop and Enterprise. Thus, when you decide to fix the error, you should first check the version. Accordingly, you will be able to troubleshoot it.
- 1. Causes Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82
- 2. Resolving QuickBooks Error 6144 82
- 2.1) Fix 1: Change Names of .TLG & .ND Files
- 2.2) Fix 2: Repair the Windows Registry
- 2.3) Fix 3: Close QuickBooks Processes through Task Manager
- 3. How can I Eliminate QuickBooks Desktop Error 6144 82?
- 4. How to Troubleshoot 6144 Error in QuickBooks Enterprise?
1. Causes Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82
Your Windows computer may get attacked by a virus or any other malware while downloading files through a corrupted source. This can stop the accounting program from functioning smoothly. When this happens, the program will indicate to you the issue of the error 6144 82. It will display a notification: “Error 6144 82: QuickBooks has Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”.
This QuickBooks error message 6144 82 may also appear because of the other reasons highlighted below:
- Any damage or corruption in the company files ending with .TLG and .ND extensions can develop the error.
- User Permission may not have been properly set up to share the QuickBooks company file.
- Your file may be stored in a damaged folder.
- You may not have installed the QuickBooks software in the proper way.
- A corrupted Windows Registry can produce the 6144 82 error.
- There may have been a synchronization issue between the company file and the accounting program.
2. Resolving QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Users can try to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 by changing the .TLG and .ND files’ names. Fixing the Windows Registry can be another way to clear the error. Apart from these, using the Task Manager can be of great help. To achieve the desired effect, see to it that you execute these fixes for the error 6144 82 by following all the steps.
2.1) Fix 1: Change Names of .TLG & .ND Files
When your company file has been undergoing any sort of damage/corruption issues, the chances of QuickBooks error 6144 82 may increase. This problem generally takes place because of issues in the .TLG and .ND files. Hence, renaming them can be thought of to troubleshoot the 6144 82 error. You can locate these files in the folder of the QuickBooks company file itself.
- Launch the “QuickBooks” software.
- Push the “F2” key present on your keyboard.
- Head to the “File Information” section.
- Look for the address of the company file.
- Next, move towards the folder that stores each of the company files.
- Now, you are required to select each of the files that have the “.ND” and “.TLG” extensions.
- Any one of the files needs to be right-clicked.
- Click on “Rename” in this step.
- Here, you need to add “.OLD” at the end of the file’s name.
Note: Do not remove the .TLG and the .ND extensions. This may create problems in fixing the 6144 error code. Or, should the error be fixed, it may appear again after some time.
- Re-do the steps from 6-9 for all the remaining “.ND” and “.TLG” files.
- Sign in to the company file in your QuickBooks software.
- Run this file so that the fix for the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 is verified.
While the error 6144 gets eliminated, see to it that you also repair the corrupt QuickBooks company file. This will prevent the software from running into this or any other error code.
2.2) Fix 2: Repair the Windows Registry
Windows Registry is the database of all the details regarding hardware and software installed on your system. Due to any corruption in the Registry, the QuickBooks error message 6144 82 can affect your files. Therefore, you should attempt to fix the Windows Registry to ensure seamless access to your company files. The process is easier once you reach the Registry Editor window.
- Press the “Start” tab.
- Type “Command” in the given search field.
Important: Do not tap on the “Enter” button. This may not let the fix for the 6144 82 error code work.
- Then at the same time, you need to keep a hold of the “Ctrl” button and the “Shift” key.
- Simultaneously, tap on “Enter”.
- A dialog box will come up on the window asking for your permission. Select “Yes”.
- You will now find a cursor blinking inside a black colored box on the screen. Continue to get rid of the QuickBooks error 6144 82 by mentioning “Regedit”.
- Push the “Enter” button in this step.
- On the page “Registry Editor”, opt for “Error 6144 82”.
- Then head towards the “File” option.
- Select “Export”.
- After this, you will have to choose the folder in which the “QuickBooks Backup Key” is to be saved.
- Give a name to that folder.
- Hit the “Selected Branch” option given in the “Export Range Box”.
- The modifications that have been made to the file with the “.reg” extension have to be saved.
Finally, by running the accounting program, you can check whether the fix for the QuickBooks error 6144 82 has worked. A backup of the QuickBooks registry entries would be created so that your data doesn’t get lost in the future. Make sure that you do not remove it to maintain the effect of this fix.
2.3) Fix 3: Close QuickBooks Processes through Task Manager
Task Manager contains information on each of the programs running on a Windows desktop. Given that these tasks continue to run despite closing the programs, your desktop may run into issues. So, if you ever come across the QuickBooks error message code 6144 82, you can use it for clearing all the tasks of the software.
- You need to sign in as an “Administrator” on the Windows computer.
- Then hit the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “Esc” key together.
- The option given first needs to be highlighted.
- Now, tap on the “Q” letter key so that “QuickBooks Tasks” can be seen.
- You are required to opt for the given QuickBooks processes:
- Select “End Task” in this step. These processes will eventually stop running. So, the QuickBooks error 6144 82 will be fixed.
Head to your QuickBooks company file and attempt opening it. Supposing that the fix doesn’t work, you may have left any of the QuickBooks processes running. So, examine that all the tasks have been selected and properly closed. Otherwise, you may start over on your Windows desktop.
3. How can I Eliminate QuickBooks Desktop Error 6144 82?
Clearing the 6144 82 error code in QuickBooks Desktop can be possible by downloading the latest updates for the software. After you do this, installing the same would make your program up to date. Hence, its prevention in the future will also be attainable. The QuickBooks File Doctor tool can additionally take you out of the error 6144 82 in QuickBooks Desktop. It will aim to automatically troubleshoot the error.
3.1) Fix 1: Updating QuickBooks Desktop
When your accounting software becomes out of date, it may start creating issues such as the 6144 82 error message. Because of this, your software by Intuit may not let you finish your work. Therefore, updating it to the latest version can be helpful. To get the available updates, you can find help in QuickBooks Desktop itself. Further, it lets you directly update the software without accessing any additional platform.
Follow the procedure given below to resolve the QuickBooks Desktop error message 6144 82:
- Visit the accounting software.
- Click on the “Help” tab.
- Then hit “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Press the “Update Now” button.
- Once done, you are required to put a tick beside the “Reset Update” box.
- Here, select “Get Updates”.
- Provide some time until the update is finished.
- After the process is over, shut down the “QuickBooks Desktop” program.
- Re-launch the software. The QuickBooks error code 6144 82 should no longer be found.
3.2) Fix 2: Running QuickBooks File Doctor
Your company file may sometimes have to face a problem due to issues related to the network. This can result in communication problems between the file and QuickBooks Desktop. Assuming that the error 6144 82 in QuickBooks Desktop is specifically bothering you, implement the File Doctor tool. This tool has been created for sorting out network issues related to the QuickBooks company file.
- Visit the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” application.
- Then select the “Company File Issues” option.
- In this step, you need to tap on the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” option.
- Wait for the time being until the scan is complete.
- After the tool has found the 6144 and 82 error codes, the fix for it will start automatically.
Tip: Any interruptions in this automatic process may not help in fixing the QuickBooks Desktop error 6144 82. Therefore, see to it that you do not use the software or press anything in the tool for as long as it is running.
4. How to Troubleshoot 6144 Error in QuickBooks Enterprise?
QuickBooks Enterprise users may find the error 6144 82 for unknown reasons. Even then, changing the current model of the software can help them troubleshoot the error. Usually, it is recommended to use the accounting software in the Multi-User Mode. Thus, even when you access your company files from a particular server that shows the QuickBooks Enterprise error 6144 82, you can still use any other server. That server may not possibly display this problem. Later on, you may turn off the mode as needed.
- Open “QuickBooks Enterprise”.
- Switch the mode of the software to “Multi-User”.
- Next, opt for the “Open & Restore Company File” tab.
- Then select “Get Back to Business”.
- Now, click on “Multi-User Mode” for accessing the files.
- Ensure that hosting is turned on.
- Hit the “File” option.
- After this, you need to move to the “Utility” tab.
- Here, the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” button is to be chosen for opening the company files on the host computer without encountering the QuickBooks error 6144 82.
Your QuickBooks Enterprise program may now have been fixed from the 6144 error. In case the error remains unsolved, you may not have stopped the mode properly. You need to go back to its location and then ensure that it isn’t running.
In the End
Not updating the software often can make you come through the QuickBooks error 6144 82. This can create obstacles to accessing your company files without which working may not be possible. Hence, you must keep this in mind and update it as soon as the new version arrives. However, depending on the version of your accounting software, the cause and fix for the 6144 82 issues may vary. So, you need to select the appropriate fix accordingly and execute it as mentioned.