IRS Tax Return Reject Code IND-182-01

conectier-IND 182 01

IND-182-01 is a very common error that many taxpayers encounter with their tax returns. This denial code talks about the IP-PIN of the spouse and how it does not match the IRS archive. 

conectier-IND 182 01

However, with a little patience and the right steps, this issue can be resolved quickly, and the tax return can be resubmitted with the correct IP-PIN. In this regard, it is essential to be aware of the correct procedures to follow when dealing with this type of tax return rejection.

What are Other Tax Rejection Codes Similar to IND-182-01?

Although the particular IND-182-01 talks about the IP PIN not being valid or incorrect. They are, however, other similar reject codes that you can face when preparing and filing your tax papers. These codes are the following:

IND-181-01IP PIN not valid
IND-996The dependent IP PIN is entered incorrectly 
IND-180-01IP PIN does not match the IRS records

What Are the Methods Used to Resolve IND-182-01 Reject Code?

Whenever you file taxes, the IRS requires you to use the IP-PIN issued to you. Remember, the previous year’s IP PIN cannot be used. Any errors relating to it such as IND-182-01 reject code must be dealt with prompt actions, as chances are high for it to be used for deceitful practices. Some manual methods that you can use to verify the IP PIN are:

  • Validate the IP-PIN of your spouse
  • Apply for a new IP-PIN on the IRS website Get a PIN section
  • Contact IRS authorities if you believe there are chances of identity theft. 

How do I solve IND-182-01 in TurboTax Application?

To resolve a Spouse Identification Protection Personal Identification Number (IP-PIN) IND-182-01 rejection in TurboTax, follow these steps:

  • Open your TurboTax account and go to your rejected federal return.
  • Navigate to the section where you entered your IP-PIN.
  • Check that the IP-PIN you entered matches the one the IRS sent you. Getting an IP on the IRS website can be used If you do not have your IP-PIN. 
  • If you find that you entered the wrong IP-PIN, correct it and resubmit your return.
  • If you have verified the accuracy of your IP-PIN and corrected any errors, but your return continues to be rejected, you should contact the IRS for further assistance.
  • Once you have resolved the issue with your IP-PIN, you can resubmit your return through TurboTax. Make sure to double-check all other information on your return to ensure that it is accurate and complete before submitting.

The Bottom Line

Reject code IND-182-01 relates to your spouse’s IP PIN error. And any incongruity with the IRS records will not allow you to file tax papers unless rectified. Moreover, the chances of it being used in a mischievous way can be high, leading to identity theft. Use the above steps to resolve it immediately if it arises.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an IRS IP PIN for a spouse?

An IRS IP PIN for a spouse is an exclusive 6-digit number that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

What does it mean when there is an incongruity with the spouse’s IP PIN?

An incongruity with the spouse’s IP PIN means that the number entered on the tax return does not match the number that the IRS has on file.

What should I do if there is a mismatch with my spouse’s IP PIN?

Check that the number entered on your tax return matches the number the IRS issued to your spouse.

How do I apply for an IP PIN for my spouse?

If your spouse is eligible for an IP PIN, apply for one on the IRS’s website Get an IP PIN tool.

What if my spouse does not have an IP PIN?

If your spouse is not eligible for an IP PIN, you can still file your tax return, but you should be aware that it may take longer to process and you may be at a higher risk of identity theft.

Can I use the same IP PIN as my spouse?

No, each taxpayer must have their own unique IP PIN. 

What happens if I enter the wrong IP PIN for my spouse?

Tax papers may be rejected or delayed in processing.

Can I change my spouse’s IP PIN?

Yes, your spouse can change their IP PIN each year by submitting a new request to the IRS.

What should I do if I suspect identity theft?

If you suspect identity theft, you should contact the IRS directly to report the issue and take steps to protect your individual information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *