There are many errors in QuickBooks Desktop software and QuickBooks error PS058 is one such error. As the name suggests, it is an error related to the software Payroll feature. The error mainly occurs when you try to download one of the updates. The software is affected by bugs and issues, but it is one of the most common errors you will encounter in the application. Apart from the unrecoverable bugs, all the other bugs can be fixed with various tools and solutions that we have detailed in this blog. So, make sure to read this entire blog and help yourself if you are facing the same problem.
To learn more about any error or issue, you need to understand what are the main reasons behind the occurrence of this error so that you know what exactly you need to do to avoid this error in the future. In the next section, you will learn more about the main causes of the ps058 error.
The Main Causes of QuickBooks Payroll Error PS058
The root causes help you understand the exact problem behind the occurrence of a particular error. Knowing the main causes will help you diagnose the error better. The main causes of the issue are as follows:
- Windows Explorer files are corrupted: Corrupt or damaged Windows Explorer files can be one of the reasons behind the ps058 issue. You can fix it by refreshing your window and also changing your display settings. So, make sure that your Windows has been updated regularly so that you do not face such minor issues.
- Company files are corrupted/damaged: Corrupted or damaged files are one of the major symptoms that indicate that you are facing a particular error, in this case, ps058. This problem can lead to a wide range of errors. Therefore, pay attention to your company files so that you do not face this type of problem.
- Local drive does not contain your company file: if your company file is not on your local drive, this can be one of the reasons. If this is also the case with you, you can try renaming the .TLG and . ND files to fix this error.
These are the three main causes that can be responsible for QuickBooks payroll error ps058. If you have the same problems, you can try some of the solutions that you can find in the next section of this blog.
How To Solve QuickBooks Error PS058?
It is not a hidden thing that the QuickBooks Desktop software gets affected by numerous errors and issues. But all these errors can easily be taken care of by using some of the solutions or tools that come straight from the house of Intuit. A few of the solutions that may help you to resolve the error ps058 in QuickBooks are given below:
Method 1: Download the Payroll Update
After downloading a Payroll Update, do you receive the code PS038 with an outdated date? If so, we will go through several procedures before attempting to download the update again. Here’s how to proceed:
- From the menu, select Payroll.
- Select My Payroll Service.
- From the drop-down menus.
- Select Send Usage or Payroll Data
- If transferring via OK, try updating the payroll again.
These are the steps that will help you download the payroll update again and might help you fix the ps058 payroll error in QuickBooks.
Method 2: Download the latest upgrade
To download the latest upgrade that will help you fix this error, you can follow the steps below:
- You need to check QuickBooks Update and know the running version of your QuickBooks Desktop software, and then check for the available update.
- If you are not sure which version of QuickBooks you have, launch the program and press F2 on your computer. Then look at the product line in the product information box.
- Check Intuit’s website for the latest QuickBooks updates as well as the version of QuickBooks.
If you follow these steps, you can download the latest upgrade and potentially fix the error. You can also try the next method that may help you fix this error.
Method 3: Download the Latest Software Update
Downloading the latest software update from the Internet can also help you fix this error. To download it, you need to follow the steps below:
- You need good internet access to perform this step.
- Download the patch file qbwebpatch.exe from the help page of the QuickBooks website.
- Save the downloaded file to the QuickBooks-equipped PC.
- You must complete the installation patch file before attempting to update the control file located on your CD /Flash Drive.
Method 4: Check if there are any errors in the company file
As mentioned in the root cause section, errors in the company files can lead to many other errors besides QuickBooks error PS058, and to check for them, you need to follow the steps below:
- Press the Ctrl+1 or F2 keys on the keyboard to bring up the product details in QuickBooks.
- Press the Ctrl+2 or F3 keys in the Product Information window.
- In the Technical Help box.
- Click Open File.
- Double-click the qbwin.log file to open it.
- Open the search field by pressing the Ctrl + F keys simultaneously.
- Type in the Error field
- Press Enter.
- Examine the error code you received
- Take the measure to fix the error.
- Proceed to the next step if you do not find any error.
Method 5: Use RegCure
Using RegCure and following the given steps can help you fix this error.
- By selecting the ctrl+alt+del keys.
- The Task Manager will open.
- Look for qbupdate.exe and qbdagent.exe in the program list.
- Close them if you have found them.
- Now type reboot.bat in the search window.
- When you double-click on the file, a shell in the style of DOS will appear.
- Take your time until it closes itself.
- Restart your computer and get the latest billing information.
Method 6: Run the reboot.bat file
Running the reboot.bat file can help you fix QuickBooks error PS058, and you can follow the steps below:
- Press the ctrl+alt+del keys
- Launch the Task Manager.
- Then, go to the Processes tab
- Look for QuickBooks and its associated processes.
- Now, turn off all the programs one by one.
- On the keyboard.
- Press the Start key
- Type Restart in the search box.
- Enter the key.
- Run it.
- Wait until it completes.
- When the process is complete, close it.
- Try to restart your computer and download the latest payroll tax.
This blog is intended to help you understand how to fix QuickBooks error PS058. It is a very minor error that can be easily fixed with the help of some of the manual solutions mentioned above, so read them and apply them if you face the same problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
QuickBooks error PS058 is a payroll update error that occurs when there is a problem with payroll updates being installed on your system.
Yes, you can continue to use QuickBooks while the PS058 error occurs. However, you may not have access to the latest payroll updates until the error is resolved.
For more information on QuickBooks error PS058, visit the QuickBooks support website or contact QuickBooks customer support.